Transporting kayaks is the least glamorous part of the sport, but for safety reasons, it’s important to do it right. (Plus, kayaks are more likely to be damaged in transit than on the water.) Fortunately, there are a lot of safe and stable ways to carry kayaks, including on the roof of your car. And while kayak trailers are a great alternative, roof racks are ideal if you’re looking for a load-and-go option for just a kayak or two. Plus, if you head to the water often, it make sense to have a more permanent form of transport.
For many kayak owners, one of the biggest reasons for not getting on the water more is the time and effort it takes to load and haul their boats to the nearest beach. But with all the rack options available, it really is possible to find a system that’ll work for you.
Before you purchase a roof rack, it’s important to take stock of the type you’ll need. This largely depends on the vehicle you plan to use. Your vehicle will have one of these four set-ups:
- Naked roof: A roof with a smooth surface and no side rails.
- Side rails: A roof with factory-installed side rails.
- Crossbars: A roof with factory-installed crossbars.
- After-market crossbars: A roof with crossbars that were added later.
In order to use a kayak rack, your roof will need crossbars. If your vehicle has a naked roof or side rails, your only option is kayak blocks. These are removable foam pads that are placed between the kayak and the vehicle’s roof. (We’ve included some options below.) The kayak is attached to the vehicle by securing both ends to the front and rear bumpers, then wrapping straps over the kayak. Here’s a quick tutorial from REI. This option is best used only for short distances since it’s not as secure as a rack. If your vehicle has side rails, you also have the option of installing permanent crossbars which will then enable you to use a roof rack.
- 1 Types of Kayak Racks
- 2 Our Picks
- 2.1 Blocks:
- 2.2 Yakima EasyTop Instant Roof Rack
- 2.3 HandiRack Inflatable Roof Rack Bars
- 2.4 Attwood Kayak Carrier Kit
- 2.5 J-Style:
- 2.6 Yakima Jaylow Kayak Carrier
- 2.7 Malone Downloader Folding J-Style Rack
- 2.8 TMS J-Style Kayak Rack
- 2.9 Saddle:
- 2.10 Malone SeaWing Saddle Rack
- 2.11 Thule Dockgrip Kayak Saddle Rack
- 2.12 Rhino-Rack Nautic 570 Kayak Rack
- 2.13 Stacker:
- 2.14 Thule 830 Stacker Rack
- 2.15 Malone Stax Pro2 Kayak Carrier
- 2.16 Rhino-Rack S520 Nautic Stack
- 2.17 Share this:
- 2.18 Related
Types of Kayak Racks
There are three main styles of kayak racks.
J-Style: This type of rack has J-shaped brackets that hold a kayak on its side at an angle. The advantage of this that you can fit more than one kayak on a roof rack. (Or a kayak and a bike or other gear.) Loading is also easier because you’re able to load the kayak from the side of your vehicle.
Saddle: If you’re planning a long haul with your kayak, saddle-style racks are the best option. This rack style has brackets that cradle the kayak as it sits flat on the roof. This configuration is the most aerodynamic which can cut down on noise and fuel costs.
Stacker: This rack style allows you to secure your kayak upright on its side. Since this greatly reduces the amount of required space, you’re sometimes able to fit up to four kayaks with this type of rack.
Here are our picks for the 12 best kayak roof racks.
- Straps on top of almost any vehicle to create an instant roof rack
- Carries up to 80 lbs of gear
- Great for boats, boards, skis, ladders and other long, flat loads
- Thick structural padding protects your roof and your gear
- Secures easily through door frames with integrated straps
- Inflatable vehicle rack for carrying all types of gear and accessories; Makes a great CANOE RACK, KAYAK RACK, SURFBOARD RACK, SUP RACK and WINTER SPORTS RACK; LIGHTWEIGHT YET HEAVY-DUTY; Load capacity of 175lbs; Certified for use up to Highway Speeds
- Easy to install; No tools required; Twin-bars are secured to the roof by a fitting strap that passes through the vehicle's doors; Strap then fastens in a heavy-duty cam buckle; To view the installation process, please watch the video; User Manual included
- Universal roof bars; No side rails or gutters required; Fits Compact, Sedan, Station Wagon, MPV, SUV, Crossover, 4x4, 2, 3, 4 or 5 door vehicles; Unsuitable for vehicles with soft-tops and curtain airbags; Should not be left on vehicle when not in use
- Tested on many vehicle brands including: AUDI BMW BUICK CHEVROLET DODGE FORD HONDA HYUNDAI JEEP KIA MAZDA MERCEDES MITSUBISHI NISSAN SMART SUBARU SUZUKI TOYOTA VW; Please contact HandiWorld if you are unsure about the compatibility of your vehicle
- Includes: 2 x HandiRack twin-tubes each with 5 D ring anchor points, 2 x 9.8ft tie-down HandiStraps, a high-volume HandiPump for inflating each bladder, Instruction Manual and a travel bag for easy storage; BOW and STERN LINES are also included
- Includes supporting foam blocks
- Two straps with adjusting buckles and clips
- Includes 15-Feet of polypropylene rope
- Straps are sturdy poly web with vinyl-coated clips
- CARRY UP TO 2 KAYAKS: Fits 1 kayak in J-cradle position (up to 80 lbs.) or 2 kayaks in a vertical, stacked position (up to 110 lbs. combined)
- FITS MOST CROSSBARS: Compatible with Yakima SteamLine and round, square, factory and aerodynamic crossbars; Minimum crossbar spread of 24"
- INCLUDES STRAPS: Includes all the necessary hardware and straps (Heavy-Duty Straps and Bow/Stern Tie-Downs) to secure your gear; SKS (Same Key System) locks sold separately
- VERSATILE DESIGN: Integrated cam lever allows you to adjust the upright position with ease; Rack also folds flat when you're not using it for better clearance and reduced drag
- EASY INSTALL: Comes fully assembled out of the box; Tool-free installation in about 10 minutes; Refer to Yakima Fit My Car Tool to ensure compatibility
- J-style kayak carrier with built-in boarding ramp for easy loading
- Fold down technology increases overhead clearance. Compatible with the MPG351 Telos Load Assist
- Oversized padding protects boat during transport
- JAWZ mounting hardware fits round, square and most factory oval cross rails, includes both 60mm and 70mm pre-coated mounting bolts;Cam style load straps with buckle protectors
- Dimensions:Length: 17",Width: 6",Height: 19.5",Load capacity: 75 lb
- KAYAK CAR TOP CARRIER A simple, low-cost solution to carrying your kayak ITEM#: KAYAK-RK-J(2SET) CONDITION: BRAND NEW QUANTITY: 2 PAIRS+2 Free Cell Phone Cases.
- This Kayak Carrier designed mounts to virtually all crossbars and load bars on the market. The carrier secures the kayak on its side, consuming minimal space on the load bar. As shown in the pictures we put the Kayak Rack on the Ladder Rack Bar.(sold separatly). A maximum of 4 sets of kayak racks can be mounted on a full size truck. Save your space.
- Features: Steel design with adjustable padding for carrying strength and kayak protection Wide mouth J bar offers easier loading and unloading Quick on/off hardware ensures fast installation and removal Optimally sized J style carrier leaves roof space All surface rust-resistant coating and hardware for longer product life Includes all mounting hardware and 2 straps Accommodates kayaks up to 36" wide and 75lbs Will fit most factory or aftermarket round,square,oval and flat crossbars
- LIFETIME WARRANTY- Your satisfaction is the most important to us and we offer limited lifetime warranty for our kayak rack carrier. If you have any concerns with this product, please contact us.~PLEASE CHECK MEASUREMENTS BEFORE PURCHASE.~The crossbars shown in the pictures are not included. Authentic TMS products contain vacuum sealed installation hardware. Authentic TMS products are shipped in labeled boxes with item description (as shown in picture).
- 2 free cell phone cases fit smartphones up to 5 3/4 inch diagonal size, credit card, wallet, or money. 5 1/4 inch x 2 7/8 inch clear window on both front and back sides. Come with a neck strap.
- Low-profile kayak/cargo carrier with single saddle design
- Easy-to-set-up mid-point mounting takes up minimal roof space
- Flexes gently to cradle boat and improve gas mileage
- Jawz mounting hardware fits round, square, and most factory oval cross rails
- Measures 27 x 5 x 6 inches (W x H x D); supports up to 70 pounds
- Can carry a variety of hull shapes as well as SUP's with two independent pivoting saddles with angle-setting lever
- Protects the hull with large, flexible, cushioned pads
- Easily secure the kayak or SUP using the center load straps with car-protective buckle bumpers and quick draw bow and Stern tie-downs
- Fits a variety of Thule rack systems, round bars and most factory racks due to t-track and flip fit brackets
- Accommodates kayaks and SUP's up to 36 inches wide and 85 lbs
- Universal fitment - fits most popular brands of roof rack crossbars
- Front/rear pads engineered to fit a variety of hull shapes
- 180 degree rotation to allow loading from the side
- Large 2.95" x 7.87" contact surface area per cradle
- 5 Year Warranty
- Fold-down steel design with non-scratch outer coating
- Quick on/off hardware ensures fast installation and removal amd
- Carries up to 4 recreational kayaks but includes all straps to transport 1 kayak
- Accommodates kayaks up to 36 in/90 cm wide and to weight capacity of 75 lbs/35 kg
- Requires Thule rack systems crossbars, round bars, or factory racks - see Buyer's Guide
- Two-boat capacity, stacking kayak carrier system for use on round, square, and most factory oval cross bars
- Octagonal aluminum posts and injection molded nylon platforms for maximum stability
- Proprietary stacker blocks stabilize boats during tie down and cushion boats during transport
- System folds down when not in use for low clearance and fuel economy
- Universal Fit JAWZ Mounting Hardware; tool-free assembly; lifetime warranty
- The most space conscious kayak loading option on the market
- Can hold up to 4 kayaks
- Multiple ways to secure the Nautica Kayak Stack
- Clamp system for rapid application and removal
- Folding Stack arm when not in use allows for more maneuverability