Camping with your dog can be a great adventure for both you and your pet, especially when you incorporate some of the best dog camping gear on the market. There’s something about seeing the outdoors through a dog’s eyes that can make us pay attention to the sights and sounds we’d otherwise miss. But before you head to camp for the weekend, it helps to do some pet-specific planning. Here are some things to consider before you go:
- Check the regulations at your campground to make sure it’s pet-friendly.
- Plan to have your dog with you at all times. Most dogs don’t do well when left alone in unfamiliar environments. It’s also pretty unsafe to leave your pet in a car, tent, or camper for an extended period of time.
- Make sure your dog’s flea and tick medication is up to date.
- Update your dog’s ID tag (or microchip) with current contact info.
- Look up the nearest veterinary clinic to your campsite and note the phone number in case you have a pet-related emergency or medical need.
In addition to these considerations, you’ll also want to make sure you have the right gear for your pet. Dogs don’t need nearly as many things as human campers (at least not most dogs) but they do have some specific needs. Here’s our favorites and the best of the best dog camping gear that will help keep your pup happy:
When your dog is outdoors, there’s no end to the messes they can get into. One preventative measure against odors and germs is swapping out their typical collar for a waterproof/odor-proof collar. Kurgo’s Muck Collar is made from flexible material for your dog’s comfort but it also easily wipes clean with water. As a bonus, the collar comes with a matching leash.
- WATERPROOF, DIRT & ODOR FREE: Perfect for dogs who love to explore, this pet collar is 100% waterproof and allows your dog to swim, roll and romp through the mud, and of course adventure in the great outdoors; collar will never absorb odor or bacteria so you don't need to worry because it's a no stink dog collar
- MADE OF DURABLE & SAFE MATERIALS: Waterproof collar is PVC free, and made of a soft but durable webbing; buckle closure and dog collar bottle opener leash and dog tag attachment will not rust
- CLEANS IN SECONDS: Kurgo's outdoor dog collar cleans easy; when done for the day just run water over collar for dogs and it comes clean in seconds
- SIZING & FIT: Large dog collar fits dogs with neck size 18 to 25 inches
A leash is a necessity when your dog is outdoors. Not only can you keep him with you when you’re on the trail, a leash and stake can keep your pup from wandering off at camp. This hands-free leash from Tuff Mutt is great for hiking while this leash and stake system is a good option for keeping your dog close to camp.
- EASY GLIDE BELT CLIP: Hands free leash smoothly slides along the dog running belt so your pup can move from side to side. One of the only dog leashes with this around the waist feature.
- COMFORTABLY RUN WITH YOUR DOG: Walk, run, or hike In front or beside him without stepping on his paws. The no-hands 4-foot lead provides plenty of free space and the bungee leash stretches out to 5 feet.
- BEST FOR MEDIUM/LARGE DOGS: A walking leash for medium dogs and a leash for large dogs that tend to pull. The shock-absorbing bungee around the waist allows you to control your pooch from your core.
- EASILY CONTROL YOUR DOG: Our double handle dog leash allows you to control him without breaking stride. Perfect hip handle placement to guide your dog back on track, or the collar for direct control.
- REFLECTIVE THREAD & QUALITY MATERIAL: A reflective dog leash with bright stitching that runs the length of the leash and an adjustable belt to ensure you stay safe and visible on your evening runs.
- Heavy Duty Tie Out Stake: Our dog tie out cable and stake set is designed with more solid and durable, thickened stainless steel spiral stake and reinforced O-ring make this dog anchor no more easier broken and bending. Ergonomic handle of the dog ground stake gives more comfort while saving time and effort when insert and pull out.
- 30FT Chain Dog Leash: Our 30 feet dog tie out leads for yard with 5.0mm diameter stainless steel vinyl-coated rope which is strength tested for dogs up to 150lbs. All the run cables have rigorously quality tested to withstand up to 5000+N pull force. Providing more space for free movement while ensuring safety.
- High Quality Buckle: Heavy duty 360° swivel clip is designed with high grade steel which is rust-proof and wear-resistant, ultra-light but super strong for small to large dogs. Both ends of the dog chain leads have no tangle clips, which can reduce the tangle when dog is moving, aim to prevent dogs from being entangled.
- Easy to Use: With the ergonomic handle and spiral stake design, you can screw the dog yard stake into the ground very easy, and then connect with the tie out cable, the quick release clips can ensure easy on & off connection, saving time and effort.
- A Complete Set & Easy to Carry: Package include: 1 X 30 ft dog runner line, 1 X dog tie out stake, 1 X oxford storage bag for easy carrying out when camping outside. Our dog stake and tie out cable set is heavy duty enough for small to large dogs up to 150lbs dogs.
Bed or Blanket
Depending on the sleeping arrangements (and the dog), some campers prefer to let their dogs share their sleeping space. If your dog does better on her own, consider bringing a dedicated dog bed or blanket just for her. Chuckit offers this travel dog bed, or you can go the minimalist route and bring along this dog sleeping bag from Outrav.
- Portable Pet Bed: This travel dog bed has a double offset soft to touch quilted quality construction; Measuring 30 x 39 inches, a poly-suede makes the top, and the ripstop on the bottom adds durability
- Travel Ready: A must have with your best friend on the go, this outdoor bed fits most dogs and is perfect for camping, RV, going to the beach, or to keep it in the car; Machine washable and breathable for quick dry-out
- Pet Toys: Get ready for bonding & fun with your dogs & cats! Check out a variety of our pet toy products such as flyers, perches & mirrors for birds, prey wand toys for cats, plush toys, light-up interactive toys & more.
- Make Fetch Happen: Chuckit Performance Toys Are Designed With You And Your Dog In Mind; Try Our Full Range Of Interactive Indoor And Outdoor Dog Toys Including Tumblers, Flyers, Fetch Toys, Chew Toys Other Balls For Dogs And More
- Chuckit Fetch Pet Toys: Chuckit makes indoor and outdoor dog toys that enrich the human-animal bond and helps dogs and puppies stay engaged. Try our full line of ball launchers, puppy toys, flying discs, tennis balls for dogs, dog chew toys, and more
- COMFORT FOR YOUR PUP: Never leave your dog behind on your outdoor adventures with the Outrav dog sleeping bag. This portable dog bed will ensure your pup has a warm and cozy place to sleep during the cooler camping months.
- WARM & WATERPROOF: Made from lightweight insulated material, this camping dog bed provides just enough warmth to keep the comfortable while sleeping on cold surfaces. The waterproof material ensures they'll stay dry on wet ground.
- THE IDEAL SIZE: Great for dogs of all sizes, the pet sleeping bag measures 36" in length and 26" in width. Great for on the go, the packable dog bed condenses down to just 15" in height and 5.5" in width so you can take it with you anywhere.
- PORTABLE & LIGHTWEIGHT: Easy to carry and store, this portable dog bed for camping comes with a convenient stuff sack that packs the bed up tight so you'll have no problem fitting it in with your other camping gear.
- BUILT TO LAST: The polyester shell fabric and waterproof lining is durable enough for your most rugged adventures. It dries quickly and comes clean with a simple shake.
Food and Water Bowls
For convenience’s sake, collapsible food and water bowls are a helpful addition to your pet camping gear. Not only can you use them at the campsite, you can also pack one for your daily adventures such as hiking or boating. That way, you can make sure your dog stays well-hydrated (and well-fed.). This set from Comsun has one bowl for food and one for water.
- PORTABLE & CONVENIENT: Collapsible dog bowl is 7 inches wide, 2.5 inches height, each bowl holds up to 25 fluid ounces of water or 3 cups of dog food. - 0.7 inches when compact - simply Pop-Up and then fold away
- SAFE MATERIALS AND ECO-FRIENDLY: Made with high quality silicone. You also can rest assured that when your pet is enjoying food or water from one of our bowls they're completely safe
- DURABLE AND REUSABLE: The bowl's durable construction means that they can be rinsed or wiped clean after use. also gives the bowl greater longevity over other similar products
- EASY FOR STORAGE AND TRANSPORTATION: Non-Slip collapsible dog bowl set great for travel dog bowl, pet travel bowl and cat food bowl - The Bowls include color-matching carabiners clip it or collapse it to your backpack, purse, dog travel crate, dog training leash or collapse flat for your pocket, stroller, glovebox AND MORE! Terrific Pet Supplies for Dogs Water Bowl or Dog Travel Bowl
- BRIGHTNESS COLOR: Color-a set with mixed color: Blue and Green
Safety lights ensure that other people can see your pet at night—including you! In a dark campground (or backcountry campsite), it can be too easy to lose track of a wandering pet. This will help keep your pet safe.
Even in the wild, it’s important to pick up after your dog. According to the EPA, dog poop can be harmful to the environment, especially in locations where it introduces new bacteria and pathogens. Rather than the classic plastic bags that never break down, try these biodegradable bags from Doggy Do Good, a small family business based in Michigan. A portion of their proceeds go to animal shelters.
- Green for a Reason: Our dog poop bags (38% vegetable-based) are green and clean, extra thick and leak-proof to lock out smells, super thick and durable, and easy to open; 60 large doggie bags per box, 6 rolls total
- No Leaks, No Smell: Our standard doggie bags are wide and long – 7.0 in x 13.4 in - large enough to pick up after any dog breed, fit over pooper scoopers, or use for a cat litter box trash bag; they’re ultra thick, unscented, and super durable to prevent leaks and lock in every kind of icky poo smell
- Thickest Green Dog Bags: We pay for the most premium materials to keep your hands protected from your best friend’s messes while maintaining the truly green quality of our pet waste bags; you don’t have to worry about our ultra thick refill bags ripping during dog or cat poop pick-ups
- Together, We Can Do Something Good: Our mission is to help make our pets’ carbon paw-print smaller by supporting organizations that care for animals and the planet; every time you choose Doggy Do Good poop bags, we give back to animal shelters, rescues, and sustainability causes
- Make the Cleanest Choice - for your hands and the planet; If you don’t love your 100% green dog bags, the most durable out there, just reach out within 30 days and we’ll make it right, no questions asked; we’re that confident you’ll have a positive poop pick up experience with Doggy Do Good bags
Dog Camping Gear – Boots
They might seem superfluous but boots can be a worthwhile investment for dogs whose paws aren’t used the outdoors. Even if your pup spends a lot of time outside, they might not be used to the terrain you’ll encounter on a camping trip. Check out our guide to the best hiking boots for dogs and see which option is best for your four-legged adventure buddy. Or, if you just can’t get your dog to wear boots, try using a protective layer of Musher's Secret.
- SAFE AND ALL-NATURAL - Our natural paw balm for dogs is made from food-safe oils and waxes, so it's A-OK even if they lick them. Our pet paw balm is safe to use even on the most sensitive pets.
- ALL SEASON PROTECTION - Musher's Secret creates invisible dog paw protectors so your furry friend's paws have protection against drying and cracking. Our awesome product is dog paw balm for snow, hot pavement, rough terrains, and more!
- SAFE FOR OTHER ANIMALS - Musher's Secret is a must in any animal first aid kit. It was originally formulated as dog protection, but it's safe to use on most domestic and exotic animals like cats, chickens, and horses.
- MOISTURIZING AND HEALING - Musher's Secret Dog Paw Wax relieves and soothes dry, cracked paws because it is made from uber-moisturizing oils and waxes. Our good dog paw balm is safe to apply on hot spots and cuts, too!
- MADE IN CANADA - We are a 3rd generation, family-owned business from Canada. Our recipe was originally developed for Canadian Sled Dogs, so it needed to be effective. We are honored to BRING OUR SECRET TO YOU and your pets.
Brush or Comb
Depending on your dog’s size, you might want to provide them with a pack. (In fact, working breeds actually like wearing packs because it gives them a “job” to do.) Try this dog backpack from Ruffwear.
- Hike, camp, and explore: Share more adventures and go further with the Approach Pack; It allows your dog to carry their gear and gets them excited about hitting the trails
- Trail-ready: Stash treats, bowls, and more in the pockets and on the external gear loops; Reflective trim and a light loop for The Beacon (sold separately) provide visibility in low-light conditions
- Balanced weight: Designed with weight-forward saddlebags that help stabilize pack contents for easy, comfortable carrying; Be sure to limit the load to 25% of your dog’s weight
- Comfortable: Features an integrated harness with 5 points of adjustment for just the right fit; A padded handle and supportive straps allow for controlled and comfortable lifting over tough terrain
- Safe & secure: Clip in with the strong aluminum V-ring and reinforced webbing loop leash attachment points
If your camping trip involves swimming, paddling, or boating, it’s a good idea to bring a life jacket for your pet. Even dogs that love water can easily get tired and a life jacket will help keep them safe when they do. This model from Outward Hound is available in four sizes and comes with rescue handles.
- SIZING BASED ON GIRTH: Dogs come in all shapes and sizes. Whether your dog is short and stout or long and lanky, there's a dog life jacket fit for them. Available in sizes XS-XL and featuring adjustable straps, we've made it easy for you to choose a size that supports them based on their girth measurement. We recommend sizing up if the dog's girth size is on the higher end of this size.
- SPLASH WITH SAFETY: The Outward Hound Granby Splash life jacket for dogs is designed with bright colors and reflective accents to provide better visibility while swimming. A front neck float helps keep your dog's head above water whether they are a novice or experienced swimmer.
- NOVICE & EXPERIENCED SWIMMER-FRIENDLY: The Granby Splash dog life jacket is constructed with ripstop material that provides maximum buoyancy in the water without restricting movement on land. Adjustable straps and side release buckles provide a secure fit and neoprene belly band supports their chest and belly while getting their float on
- MULTI-HANDLE DESIGN: Dual grab handles make it easy to restrain and lift your dog out of the water and provide easy access.
- PLAY IT SAFE: No pet accessory is indestructible. Do not leave with unsupervised pets. Remove and replace if damaged.
The more you camp with your dog, the more you’ll know what they need in order for both of you to have a good time in the outdoors together!
Have a dog and love tent camping? Check out our collection of the best tents for camping with dogs.