Before you take your furry friend on your next camping trip, check out our comprehensive guide to the best tents for camping with dogs. If you want to bring your dog on your next camping trip, you’re in good company. A growing number of campgrounds are pet-friendly these days as more people bring their dogs on their outdoor adventures.
If camping with pets is a new experience for you, it might be worth taking a look at the National Park Service’s camping with pet guidelines. They’re helpful common-sense tips no matter where you plan to camp.
An obvious question that arises when camping with pets is: Where should they sleep? In most cases, the answer is with you. Having your pet in your tent with you will help keep them and other wildlife safe (think coyotes or bears), quiet, and if it’s a cool night, you’ll have free heat. Fortunately there is a wide variety of high-quality camping gear made specifically for dogs available on the market.
Not all tents are ideal for pets, however. The best pet-friendly tents offer adequate ventilation, a tough floor that can stand up to claws, and plenty of space. (Also consider the size of the tent’s entrances in relation to the size of your dog.) Not to mention, it’s important to choose a tent that’s easy to clean when your trip’s over. Choosing the right pet approved tent is also important should you intend on leaving a dog or pet in your tent while camping for any length of time.
Here are our recommendations for the best tents for camping with dogs.
This spacious tent comes in 6-person or 8-person size and includes a screened-in area that doubles as a second place for your pup to sleep. Inside the tent, you can fit up to two queen-size air mattresses. At 21 pounds however, this tent is squarely in the car-camping category. (Unless you’re up for a challenge!)
- Weatherproof: Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; Included rainfly offers extra weather protection
- Conventional pitch: Sets up in 15 minutes
- Bug-free lounging: 10 x 5 feet full-floor screen room
- Roomy interior: 10 x 9 feet with 5 feet 8 inch center height; Fits 2 queen-size air beds
- Carry bag: Included for easy storage
The Indy is a smaller tent but it’s the perfect size for two campers and their pet. Its waterproof design includes a front vestibule so you can store gear outside your sleeping space. Bonus: The floor is made from heavy-duty, anti-fungal plastic (perfect for summer rainstorms, humidity, and wet dogs).
- DESIGNED FOR QUICK & EASY ASSEMBLY – The INDY 3- 4 person tent is great for all the family. With easy assembly, the spacious European design one door tent weighs 11 lbs with a comfortable floor size of s 11.8FT x 6.7FT (sleep area of 6.7FT x 6.7FT 7FT) and 4.3FT center height for maximum comfort.
- DOUBLE LAYER FULL COVERAGE RAINFLY – 100% waterproof 190T polyester laminated with polyurethane. 2500mm water column rainfly provides full coverage, while the heat-seamed thermoplastic coating offers UV protection. Inner tent has a large 2-way zipper D-style door with full mosquito mesh protection and improved ventilation. Roomy utility pocket for storage. European design delivers a unique front vestibule that has an awning and side door with a detachable PE tarp floor and maximum water protec
- THICK NANO-FLEX TECHNOLOGY FRAME – Extra thick Nano-flex fiberglass poles interconnect with double gold chrome plated ferrule hardware and strong elastic, offering a sturdy construction. Made with 100% virgin material to provide additional strength and flexibility.
- BREATHABLE MICRO MOSQUITO MESH – Ultra-thin NO-SEE-UM polyester micro-mesh fabric keeps you safe from the smallest insects and mosquitoes – letting fresh air in while keeping bugs out! Built for the Brazilian Amazon, the Indy 3-season dome tent will keep you comfortable and protected from cold, rain and wind.
- HEAVY DUTY ANTI FUNGUS FLOOR MATERIAL – Seamless, anti-fungal polyethylene with a silver-coated inner layer to prevents leaks, keeping you dry and protected. The flooring has a unique bathtub-style construction element barrier, designed to ensure so you won’t wake up in a puddle! CPAI-84 fire retardant materials. Comes with a zipped stuff bag with ID label to personalize your tent.
This 8-person tent has the distinction of being the official tent of the National Park Foundation and is highly rated on Amazon with more than 2,000 reviews. It also boasts easy set-up and hinged doors (for repeated trips to let the dog out).
- Spacious 8-person tent has enough room for 3 queen size air beds
- WeatherTec system with patented corner welds and inverted seams helps keep water out
- Extended door awning keeps shoes and gear dry; hinged door offers easy access
- Measures 16 x 7 feet with 6-foot 2-inch center height
- Quick setup in 15 minutes with carry bag included for easy transportation
When your camping crew is just two—you plus your canine companion—this ultra-lightweight backpacking tent is a perfect option. This no-frills tent has a rainfly but without it, the tent’s all-mesh construction let’s you sleep under the stars.
- 2 person, 32 square foot lightweight tent is ideal for climbers, campers, and hikers who want comfort and performance while minimizing pack weight; seam taped full coverage fly and seam taped floor protect you from the elements
- Zone pre bend construction creates vertical walls for roomier interior; strategic clip placement adds more headroom
- Color coded "Easy Pitch" poles, clips, and fly for quick and easy setup
- D shaped door for easy entry/exit; overhead vestibule and small gear pockets for extra storage space
- Durable HD velocity 7000 series aluminum poles. Jingle free nylon zipper pulls
Another backpacking option, this tent from Kelty offers a little more room than the Marmot option. Dual doors mean you don’t have to crawl over anyone to get out, and two side vestibules provide extra storage space.
- It's all about livable space with the Kelty Trail Ridge 3 tent, trail-worthy tent designed for performance on your next backpacking adventure
- Dual doors offer convenient access without having to climb over your partner; 2 vestibules provide convenient and protected gear storage
- Freestanding design is easy to move around for ideal campsite placement
- Color-coded clip construction is quick and easy to set up, and eliminates guesswork
- Includes Stuff Sack and Steaks
On the opposite end of the tent spectrum is this offering from Columbia. Big enough for a pack of pets, this two-room option is more cabin than tent—no complaints here! The vertical walls and ceiling height make it the most spacious option on our list. (Unlike most on our list, you can stand up in this one.)
One way to expand a tent’s sleeping space—or create extra room for your furry friends—is to attach it to your vehicle. This model from Napier fits all SUVs and minivans, allowing you to access the cargo area of your vehicle from inside the tent.
- Vehicle sleeve designed to accommodate all CUV’s, SUV’s and Minivans
- Spacious 9’ x 9’ ground tent with 7’ of headroom, sleeps up to 5 adults
- Connects to the cargo area of your vehicle offering convenience and additional storage solutions
- Large door with storm flap for weather protection and privacy, 3 mesh windows, and wide entrance offer optimal ventilation and accessibility
- Easily converts to a standalone tent by removing the patented, detachable sleeve
This camping option pairs with an EZ-UP shelter to create a roomy cube-shaped tent with a waterproof tub-style bottom. It sleeps 5-6 people and even comes with a pet door!
- WORKS WITH YOUR E-Z UP - Transform your 10 foot by 10 foot shelter into an entirely new space for any upcoming camping trip. The 5.4 Camping Cube can accommodate up to 5 people with room for your 4 legged friend that’s where the .4 comes in with a built in Pet Portal. Inside there is height enough for most people to stand with a height of 6 feet 4 inches (76”). The Camping Cube measures 99” L x 99” W x 76” H (350 cm x 251 cm x 251 cm) offering more 431 cubic feet (22.1 m3) of room of space.
- 5.4 FITS ANGLE LEG SHELTERS - The 5.4 Camping Cube is designed to work with your ANGLE LEG shelter and only fits our instant shelter models: Dome and Vista. If you have a straight leg shelter we have a different compatible model.
- E-Z SET UP - Sets up in seconds, the Camping Cube 5.4 is an instant tent attachment designed to connect easily to your E-Z UP instant shelter’s frame. No tools or extra tent poles needed, the Camping Cube has specially designed heavy-duty clips, hook and loop closures and S hooks to connect to the metal frame of your shelter. With a weight of only 14 lbs. (6.35 kg) you can take your Camping Cube everywhere.
- EXCELLENT AIR FLOW - Large screened windows and an oversized screened door work together with the vented roof to maximize air flow for those hot summer days and nights. The Camping Cube offers excellent protection from the sun and blocks 99% of harmful UV rays. If you need to stay warm (or need privacy) every window and the door has a heavy-duty polyester flap that closes with an upgraded #10 zippers for a tight seal.
- NO MORE BREAKDOWN HEADACHE - With easy to remove hooks and the hook and loop attachments the Camping Cube can be detached in less than a minute. Once detached fold it up and store in the provided Accessory Gear Bag. Once the Camping Cube is detached you can close and store your E-Z UP instant shelter normally.
For the times when your dog simply needs her own space, this kennel-sized tent will do the trick. With mesh windows, rainfly, and waterproof bottom, it’ll be your pet’s cozy home away from home.
- Smart Designed Pet Camping Tents: Zippered doors for quick in and out, with Breathable mesh windows on all sides to prevent mosquitoes while provides Great Ventilation and Views
- Durable&Water-resistant: Water resistant tarp bottom, high quality flex fiberglass rod and 210D Water-resistant polyester and metal stakes which are sturdy&tight and is easy to clean
- Quick Asssemble: very easy to set up and take down, with a convenient carry bag to bring your tent with you wherever you need to go
- Lightweight&Portable: 45.3"L x 34.6"W x 28.3"H, 2.8 lbs, perfect for dogs, cats and other small pets to enjoy indoor/outdoor camping, used as a dog bed,dog shelter at home, backpacking, beach playing etc
- Multi-use: this tent also works great on any patio, lawn, balcony, deck and more.
This waterproof 2-3 person tent one of the most budget-friendly tents for camping with dogs on our list. It’s a great choice if you’re a camping newbie and don’t want to invest in a lot of equipment or if you worry about your pet ruining your gear. Not that it’d ever happen, right?
- DESIGNED FOR QUICK & EASY ASSEMBLY – The Oregon 2-3 person tent is great for all the family. With easy assembly, the spacious one door tent weighs 6lbs with a comfortable floor size of 7ft x 5ft and 3.8ft center height for maximum comfort.
- DOUBLE LAYER FULL COVERAGE RAINFLY – 100% waterproof 190T polyester laminated with polyurethane. 2500mm water column rainfly provides full coverage, while the heat-seamed thermoplastic coating offers UV protection. Inner tent has a large 2-way zipper D-style door with full mesh protection. Roomy utility pocket for storage and ventilated mesh roof.
- THICK NANO-FLEX TECHNOLOGY FRAME – Extra thick Nano-flex fiberglass poles interconnect with double gold chrome plated ferrule hardware and strong elastic, offering a sturdy construction. Made with 100% virgin material to provide additional strength and flexibility. The high-performance NTK outdoor camping tent also has a pin-and-ring system for fast and easy setup.
- BREATHABLE MICRO MESH – Ultra-thin polyester micro-mesh fabric keeps you safe – letting fresh air in. Freestanding design is easy to set up and take down. Built for the Brazilian Amazon, the Oregon 3-season dome family tent will keep you comfortable and protected from heat, rain and wind.
- HEAVY DUTY FLOOR MATERIAL – Seamless, polyethylene with a silver-coated inner layer to prevents leaks, keeping you dry and protected. The flooring has a unique bathtub-style construction barrier, designed to ensure so you won’t wake up in a puddle! CPAI-84 fire retardant rainfly comes with a zipped stuff bag and ID label to personalize your tent.