We dream of a weekends spent outdoors, but sometimes we can’t travel farther than our own yards. If finances, full campgrounds, health concerns, or social distancing restrictions are keeping you at home this season, that doesn’t mean you have to give up camping. With some creativity and flexibility, it’s possible to re-create an authentic camping experience right at home. You might not have the lake or the hiking trails, but you’ll still have the fresh air, starry skies, and outdoor fun.
Not convinced? Here are some advantages of backyard camping:
- It’s convenient. No need to spend hours on the road or in traffic to reach your weekend getaway location when it’s right outside your door. Plus, you don’t have to spend time packing and unpacking.
- It’s (relatively) cheap. You’ll save money on gas and camping permits.
- The food is better. Unless you plan to cook outdoors, at home you’ll have an entire kitchen you can use including a stove, oven, refrigerator, and freezer.
- You won’t have weather worries. If it rains, storms, or gets uncomfortably hot, it’s easy to simply head indoors—and crank up the air-conditioning.
- It’s a good trial run. If you’re new to camping or aren’t sure if your kids are old enough to try it, camping at home is a great low-stakes way to test it out. Not to mention, it’ll give you a chance to try out gear such as a new tent or hammock set-up.
- It’s pet-friendly. Have a dog (or cat!) you love but would never take to the campground? See how they do in a backyard camping situation. You’ll be close to everything you need if it turns out they’re more comfortable indoors.
Before you set up camp for the weekend, here are some ideas that will help you plan the perfect camping staycation:
Your backyard camping accommodations will depend on where you live and the gear you have on hand. Here are some options:
- RV or camper: Set it up in the driveway or on a level spot in the yard. Done.
- Tent: Find a flat area in your yard that’s free of tree roots, rocks, or other sharp objects. If you want power for fans or other electronics, make sure the tent is close enough to the house so an extension cord will reach. Line the bottom of the tent with sleeping pads, yoga mats, cushions, air mattresses, bean bag chairs, or anything that will make it comfortable!
- Hammocks: Try sleeping in a hammock for the night. (Here’s how to set one up.) Keep in mind that sleeping in hammocks can get chilly. Make sure you have a pillow and enough blankets and possibly an insulating blanket on the outside. (Unless it’s a balmy summer night in July.) Depending on where you live, you might also want to use a mosquito net.
- Sleeping bags: A minimalist option is to simply roll out some sleeping bags on the ground. Be sure to add pillows, sleeping pads, foam cushions, or an air mattress underneath to make it more comfy. (If you don’t own sleeping bags, blankets will also work just fine.)
- DIY tent: If you don’t have a tent but want some shelter while you sleep, it’s easy enough to make your own pup tent. String a clothesline or paracord between two trees about 4-5 feet off the ground. (Fence posts or deck rails will also work as long as they’re sturdy enough.) Then drape a tarp or sheet over the clothesline. Make sure it’s large enough that the sides reach the ground. If possible, stake the edges of the tarp to the ground or anchor them in place with rocks or other heavy objects.
One advantage of camping at home is personalization. You can set up your camping spot exactly how you want it. (That said, make sure you follow your city ordinances about fire and noise. Different communities have different guidelines and restrictions.) Here are things that’ll make your yard feel more like a real campsite and a few extras that are just nice to have:
- Firepit: If your yard doesn’t already have a firepit, follow these instructions to build your own. (Here’s a cheaper method that uses cinder blocks.) If you’d like something less permanent, try Landmann's Outdoor Fireplace or this extra-large firepit with a moon-and-stars pattern. Make sure to set up your firepit a safe distance away from any homes, buildings, or trees.
- Water: Sure, the kitchen’s probably just a few steps away, but it’s nice to have an outdoor water source too. Set up a garden hose near your eating area or fill a water jug.
- Electricity: Many buildings have outdoor outlets, but whether your electricity source is outdoors or inside, you’ll want an extension cord or two. This outdoor extension cord comes in five lengths and two colors.
- Lights: From headlamps to solar lanterns, there are a lot of options when it comes to outdoor lighting. Check out our guide to outdoor lighting to see which lights you’ll need.
- 【Dimmable Compatible & Energy Saving】G40 outside string light come with 25 glass bulbs and 1 spare bulb. 1.5 inch light bulbs have E12/C7 candelabra socket base, 5W per bulb, warm white dimmable string light help you to save more electricity bid.
- 【Connectable & Portable】25 hanging sockets, 6 inch lead with male plug, 12 inch spacing between bulbs, 6 inch tail with female connector, total length 25 feet. End to end connect up to 3 strands. Portable size for easy carrying and storage
- 【Safety & Durable】UL certified deck lights is built with weatherproof technology, which can withstand extreme temperatures, rain, wind, and damp climates. Safe and durable electric bistro lights either with a built-in spare fuse for easy replacement
- 【Practical & Easy to Install】This outdoor decorative light string is very easy to install with a cable tie or cup hook, fix it or place it anywhere as you need. flexible and practical, a light bulb that goes out does not affect other lighting bulbs
- 【Widely Used & Warranty】Our commercial lights great for balcony garden pergola gazebo tent bbq market cafe umbrella wedding decor. Please contact the seller directly if you have any quality problems. For Bulbs replacement, please search B00R25V92Y
- Ultra Bright Solar Motion Sensor Lights - The AmeriTop solar security light with the three heads design, equipped with 128 super bright LED beads, produce up to 800lm 6500K high brightness output and good heat dissipation, which is far brighter than other similar LED solar lights. The conversion rate of our upgraded polycrystalline silicon solar panels is as high as 20%. Incredible photocell efficiency, also working great in winter.
- Enhanced PIR Motion Inductor - With upgraded wide-angle motion detector, our solar led security light detects motion up to 26 feet within an angle of 120 agrees. Automatically turns off during the day and will only turn on when it senses movement at night. The light will turn off after 30 seconds of no movement .if people stay active in the sensor area the bright light mode will remain on.
- Wide Lighting Area - With the innovative wide-angle and three heads design, Adjustable heads can move upwards, downwards and horizontally. Up to 270° wide lighting angle and 16-26ft sensing distance, Easy to adjust the light heads, lens hoods and motion sensor to different angles as your requirement. Lighting direction is adjustable with the three flexible light heads, save your trouble to install two extra light. No need for electricity, environment-friendly product.
- All-Weather Resistant - AmeriTop solar lights outdoor Made of durable ABS material, ensures this 3 head security light fixture can stand up to the elements and bad weather. IP65 waterproof rating ensures that your 3 head security light fixture won’t give in in rain, sleet or snow weather. It's specifically designed to withstand extreme weather conditions, all-weather resistant and provide additional safety and security for your home.
- Wireless Motion Sensor Lights - Easy Installation, no annoying wires or adapters needed. Only using the included screws to fix on any exterior wall constructed of all types of material including metal, wood or plastic. 18650 - 2200 mAh rechargeable lithium-ion battery, brighter and more long-term. Perfect for outdoor lighting and can be widely used as yard light, garage light, garden light, parking lot light, exit light, entrance light, driveway light, patio light, entryway light, etc.
- Bathroom: Since you’re camping at home, this is one thing you don’t need to worry about! Just make sure the house is unlocked for everyone’s middle-of-the-night trips and you’re stocked up on TP.
- Grill: You can cook over the campfire if you want, but for more dependable backyard camping results, just fire up the grill. If it’s summer, chances are it’s all ready to go. Stick to camping basics like burgers and brats or take the opportunity for fancier camping fare.
- Festive lights: Decorate your yard with LED torches, string lights, or paper lanterns.
- Decorations: For a celebratory feel, now’s the time to break out party decorations like streamers or pennant garlands. Decorations aren’t usually on most campers’ packing lists, but you don’t have to pack for this camp-out anyway.
- Yard games: Break out the badminton, ladder toss, bags, bocce, or any other outdoor game.
- The #1 Outdoor Party Game in America. Kan Jam is a tremendously fun and popular competitive team game in the same family as Ultimate Frisbee, Frisbee golf, corn hole, and basketball.
- Kan Jam is a tremendously fun and popular competitive team game in the same family as Ultimate Frisbee, Frisbee golf, corn hole, and basketball
- Set includes two portable, weatherproof goals, an official Kan Jam disc (color may vary), and play instructions
- Play without limits – Kan Jam Splash is made for pools or water, while Kan Jam Illuminate can be played in total darkness. Bring this modern, outdoor classic indoors with Kan Jam Mini
- Proudly Made in the USA - and with licensed NFL, NCAA college football, and NHL designs you can mix and match, challenge your opponents to put their team pride on the line ahead of the big showdown
- [ Just For Fun ] - All Kids Will Like This Lawn Surf Water Slide. Enjoy the Outside Backyard Fun and Make Unforgettable Summer Memories with Your Kids.
- [ Big Enough ] - Nearly 16 Feet Length, 2.3 Feet Width, Weights for 1.9 lbs. It is Long Enough to Children to Play in the Yard.
- [ Free Sliding ] - Made of Heavy-Duty Environmental Protection PVC. Thanks to the Smooth Fabric / Inflatable Crash Pad / sprinkle Water Channel, Kids Will Slide Free Won't Get Hurt At All.
- [ Easy Start ] - Connects to All Regular Sized Garden Hoses and Set up Easily with Self Filling Bumper.
- [ Reliable in whole summer ] - Suitable for Indoor&Outdoor Activities, Such as Backyard, Pool, Lake, Beach, Seaside, Lawn. Therefore, we will support Friendly customer service. Due to Strict inspection to prevent Air Leak, we are confident to provide 90-Day Satisfied money back guarantees, No excuses No worries.
- A GAME FOR YOU & YOUR KIDS: Spend some quality with your children, go outside and play a game of darts! There’s no better way to improve your aim and have a blast at the same time.
- TIPS THAT GLOW IN THE DARK: As long as there is a light on the dart tips, they will glow in the dark, making them perfect for a late-night game of darts with your family!
- HAVE A DOSE OF OUTDOORSY FUN: Perfect for the beach, the lawn or your backyard, these glow-in-the-dark darts are perfect for all soft surfaces but not so much for harder surfaces since they would bounce.
- EXCELLENT CRAFTSMANSHIP: Our darts are made with rubbery soft, plastic materials that are durable enough to last you for years to come! Make a game out of them and see who gets the highest score!
- LOVE THEM OR YOUR MONEY BACK: Make our lawn dart game yours today and if you or your children are not fascinated with it, let us know and we’ll send your money back!
- BATTLECHIP: An exciting new hybrid between golf and corn hole for the ultimate outdoor game; easy to learn and fun for all skills levels – includes 3’x2’ target, hitting mat, 16 color foam balls and carry case
- TOURNAMENT PLAY: Dynamic gameplay over the course of 9 holes; Players move the included chipping mat around the play area and aim for the target main hole to score the most points just watch for the water and sand hazards
- CHIPPING IRON NOT INCLUDED: We made this game affordable so B.Y.O.C – bring your own club; we recommend using a wedge, sand wedge or lob wedge for maximum enjoyment of battle chip
- KIDS AND ADULTS: You don’t need to be a pro golfer to become battle chip champ it’s a hole in one for all skill levels
- AN UPGRADE TO A BELOVED CLASSIC: Take home the win with Triumph's Steel Horseshoes Set
- PERFECT FOR OUTDOOR GATHERINGS: Excellent game for backyard fun with your friends and family
- FOUR CAST HORSESHOES: Eliminate your competitors with the four cast horseshoes
- DURABLE, LONG-LASTING: Ultra-durable powder-coated gold and silver hammer finish won't fade
- ALL ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: Horseshoes set includes two 20" stakes with silver hammer finish