Love kayaking but sick of the same old spots? Expand your area of exploration with our guide to the best kayak trailers on the market.
Kayaks offer a lot of freedom—they’re fast, easy to maneuver, and can handle calm shallows or raging waves. But the first step in exploring the world by kayak is actually getting your kayak to the water. And considering that kayaks can be unwieldy and weigh upwards of 60 pounds, this is no small task.
Unless you’re lucky enough to live on the water, a trailer (or rack) is a must-have for taking your kayak where you want to go. If you’ve got a kayak and plan on making a beeline this summer to the nearest lake, river, or ocean, we’ve rounded up the best kayak trailers for the job.
In general, a kayak trailer is a better option than a rack if your top priority is easy loading. Lifting a kayak onto a trailer is simpler (and requires less brute strength) than hoisting it onto a roof rack. Trailers are also ideal if you plan to transport more than two kayaks. (One of the options listed below can hold up to six!)
There are two main types of kayak trailers: hand-towed and vehicle-towed. In our round-up below, we’ve included both.
- 1 For Hand-Towing
- 2 For Vehicle-Towing
Often called trolleys or carts, these small, lightweight kayak trailers are meant to pulled by hand over short distances. They’re a great transportation option if you live near water but they’re also an easy method for toting a kayak from parking lot to launch.
- Model Year: 2018
- Product ID: 116510
- Model Number: 80046001
- GTIN: 0792176899617
- Capacity : 150-Pound 12 Ft long tie-down strap. Solid Metal frame; foam bumpers on each arm to protect your Canoe / Kayak hull
- Large(9-1/2"D) flat-free tires (3-1/2" wide) roll smoothly across sand and gravel. Stainless steel fasteners and chrome lynch pin. Quick assembly
- Material : Aluminum pipe (20 x2mm) anodized Stainless steel. Works great as a kayak or canoe dolly. Dolly breaks down for easy storage or transport
- Part of the support stand features a 9-1/4"H spring-loaded stand which keeps the dolly cart propped up onshore for quick loading out of water
- Large 9-1/2" diameter flat-free tires provide stable support on uneven terrain which is especially useful in sandy areas
- VERSATILE - Works with Canoes, Kayaks, Jon Boats, Lasers, Paddle Boards, and Other Large Crafts
- HEAVY DUTY - Treaded Air-Filled Wheels with a Powder Coated Steel Frame and Spring Loaded Kickstand
- LOW PROFILE - Cart Frame Breaks Down for Low Profile Storage When Stowed Away
- ADJUSTABLE - Adjustable Padded Top Bars and Cinch Strap Included to Fit Your Craft
- SPECS - 300lbs Maximum Load Capacity, Cart Weight: 16lbs, Dimensions: 30. 5" L x 16" W x 17. 5" H
- Puncture Free Wheels: High grip rubber tread wheels are puncture free. Never worry about getting a flat tire on your kayak and canoe cart. Includes adjustable kick stand. This cart is designed for all terrains to get you paddling anywhere.
- Strap your canoe or kayak to the cart and roll to your next destination. Keeps you from having to lift and carry your heavy boat too and from the water. Adjustable rubberized pads fit most hull shapes.
- Tool Free Assembly: Dismantles in under 20 seconds and fits inside kayak hatch to take to your next destination. Allows for easy transportation and quick assembly at home, on the beach, or on the water.
- Durable Construction: Reinforced composite material, thermos-bonded elastomeric hull pads and stainless steel reinforced axles. Will not rust. The C-TUG is made of non-corroding engineering polymers, with stainless steel reinforced axles.
- New Zealand Made. 300 lbs (120kg) loading limit. The Railblaza C-Tug is the most versatile and durable kayak cart on the market.
Before choosing the best kayak trailer to tow with your vehicle, it helps to answer these questions:
- Which vehicle am I planning to use? Does it have a trailer hitch and receiver?
- Does my vehicle have the necessary towing capacity? Here’s a guide if you’re unsure.
- How many kayaks do I plan to transport? (Some trailers have add-on racks that can change their capacity.)
- What type of kayaks will I transport? (Sea kayaks and tandem kayaks are longer so they require a trailer with a longer tongue.)
- Do I need additional room on the trailer for other equipment and accessories?
- Do I have the necessary room to store or park the trailer?
- What’s the weight capacity of the trailer I’m considering?
- Am I able to assemble a trailer? (When you purchase a trailer online, it’s “assembly required.” Make sure you have the tools and mechanical know-how—or know someone who does—before ordering.)
- After you’ve taken the time to set your trailer priorities, it’s time to take your pick.
- Features. Designed for kayaks up to 14'. Galvanized steel frame with 58" steel-coated load bars.
- Includes two sets of V-style hull-down kayak carriers. 8" high-speed galvanized wheels. Composite fenders.
- Weight Capacity: 275 lbs. 5-year manufacturer's warranty. Made in USA.
- Marine grade galvanized steel frame, Easy to assemble T-Box design, leaf spring suspension
- Galvanized heavy-duty axle, 8-inch diameter high speed wheels, factory-sealed 5-lug hubs
- 58-inch coated steel load bars, 1 set of padded carriers with 4 sets of stacker foam blocks, 2 12-foot load straps
- 2-piece reinforced extended tongue, 2-inch Class II hitch coupler with skid plate, DOT approved lighting
- 275-pound capacity, transports kayaks, canoes, and SUPs up to 14 feet long, 164 pounds, 58 inches wide by 134 inches long
- 78-Inch crossbars compatible with all Yakima accessories
- Locking levers with keys prevent theft of wheels and tongue
- Adjustable, Dual Spring progressive rate, motorcycle-style shock absorbers provide four inches of wheel travel. Independent suspension.
- Includes a carrying handle that will turn your trailer into a hand cart.
- Can carry up to 300lbs with the Heavy Duty Springs and the independent suspension
- Galvanized steel frame with large 4.80 x 12" Wheels
- Carry fishing kayaks, boards, SUP's, bicycles, and cargo boxes
- Crossbars (64" wide) supports all roof rack accessories from companies like Yakama and Thule
- Fold up locking tongue stand and LED Lights come standard
- Soft springs and a sturdy frame to absorb road vibration
- Features. 2" hitch & standard electrical connector. High speed wheels & tires.
- Galvanized crank style jack stand with wheel for easy handling. 1000 lb capacity allows transport of large boats and all your gear. Three tier load bar system.
- Full size spare tire. Made in the USA. Five Year Limited Warranty.
- Made in USA. Model Number: MPG550-O.