Camping should be a fun experience, however, the enjoyment can be hindered by a poor night’s sleep. Constant tossing and turning and sleeping on harsh and uneven terrain can soon leave you feeling rather sleep-deprived. A camping cot provides the perfect solution.
Just like a normal bed, a camping cot elevates you above the ground so you can sleep comfortably whilst feeling supported. They are typically compact, foldable and they generally tend to be easy to transport between locations. If you want to go camping but don’t want to sacrifice a good night’s sleep, a camping cot could be great for you.
There are many different camping cots available on the market. Some are a standard size and others that are much larger. To make the task of finding a good quality camping cot easier for you, we have browsed the market and reviewed our top 5 picks of the best offerings from different brands below.
Aside from this, we have also provided you with a handy buyer’s guide that details all of our top tips for selecting the best product for your needs. We have also highlighted the features that you should expect to find on a high-quality camping cot.
Best Camping Cot
As a brand, Coleman is renowned for producing reliable and durable outdoor products and the Trailhead II Cot is no exception. Measuring 3.35 x 37.4 x 9.06”, it is generously sized and can support up to 300 lbs in weight and a maximum height of just over 6ft. When set up, it will elevate you over a foot above the ground.
The raised sides enhance the security of this cot and will prevent sleepers from falling off if they should roll over during the night. The firm canvas surface will support your back as you sleep.
In regards to durability, steel has been used to construct the crossbar frame. Aside from this, the double stitching enhances the toughness of the cot ensuring that it sees you through many uses.
It is worth noting that this camping cot is a little weighty when collapsed and packed up. Because of this, you must be prepared to transport it along with all of your other camping gear.
What we like:
- Quality – Made from a combination of high-quality materials, this cot has been designed to deliver long-lasting use.
- Carry Bag – the addition of this accessory makes the cot easier to transport between locations.
- Heavy-duty – the sturdiness of this cot allows you to sleep comfortably.
What we don’t like:
- Assembly – some customers have reported that the bars of this bed were a little difficult to assemble.
- ELEVATED COMFORT: Eliminates the discomfort of sleeping on rough or cold ground.ELEVATED COMFORT: Eliminates the discomfort of sleeping on rough or cold groundBUILT TO LAST: Strong cross-bar steel frameSUPPORTS: Up to 300 lb.MAX HEIGHT: 6 ft. 2 in.DIMENSIONS: 73 x 35 x 17 in.Portable: Folds to fit in most car trunksMilitary-style camping cot ; Extra wide design for more sleeping roomCan accommodate most people up to 6 feet 2 inches tall 1-year limited warranty
- BUILT TO LAST: Strong cross-bar steel frame
- SUPPORTS: Up to 300 lb.
- MAX HEIGHT: 6 ft. 2 in.
- DIMENSIONS: 73 x 35 x 17 in.
The TETON Sports Outfitter XXL Camping Cot is slightly larger than a twin bed but still collapses down to a much more compact size for easy transportation. It supports up to 600 pounds in weight making it suitable for a range of users.
When set up, this camping cot measures 85.75 x 41 x 19.25” and will elevate you off the ground so you can sleep comfortably regardless of the terrain. The tight Oxford cot top will remain firm, providing you with plenty of support as you sleep.
Constructed from steel, the frame and legs are robust and durable. Each of the legs have rubber bushings, which will absorb shock to support the cot regardless of the terrain that it is positioned on.
The cot can easily be folded following use, and it isn’t overly weighty. As such, it can conveniently be transported to different locations on your camping adventure. As for assembly, the patented pivot arms can quickly be secured into place.
What we like:
- Comfortable – Many customers have praised the comfort of this cot, and have benefited from an improved night’s sleep.
- Assembly – this cot can be set up with ease and isn’t going to consume a great deal of time.
- Carry bag – along with the camping cot you are provided with a carry bag which is going to allow for easy transportation.
What we don’t like:
- Size – As this is an XXL bed it is going to be very big, so you will need to check that it fits inside your tent.
- PIVOT ARM REVOLUTION: Cot setup just became child’s play; The pivot arm is a built-in lever that makes putting that last end bar in place quick and easy; No more wrestling with that fourth corner; Look for "Outfitter With Pivot Arm" in the selector box
- STRONG AND STURDY: Reinforced steel S-leg assembly strengthens the cot and provides stability; Portable folding cot makes camp set up hassle free
- GET OFF THE GROUND: Take the comfort of a bed to the outdoors; Sleep free from rocks and other unlevel surfaces when you use this TETON Sports Cot; You deserve a good night’s sleep when you’re camping; Wake up refreshed
- SIZE DOES MATTER: Larger than a twin bed and supports up to 600 pounds (272 kg) easily; Cot folds down for easy transport; Pack weight 26 pounds (11.8 kg)
Boasting a heavy-duty construction, the REDCAMP Folding Camping Cot has been made from a combination of strong materials.
Along the sides of the frame, there is a patented G-STA locking mechanism that will secure the cot into place. The legs are then finished with rubber feet which will prevent it from slipping, regardless of where it is positioned.
Double Oxford fabric material has been used to create the surface of this camping cot. Its strong qualities mean that it will provide lots of support to the user. The double layers enhance the durability of this camping cot.
Impressively, it has a maximum weight capacity of 500 lbs and because of this, it is suitable for a range of users.
A great thing about this camping cot is that it is super easy to assemble. When you are ready to use it, you simply need to remove it from the carry bag and unfold it and this can be done in a matter of seconds.
What we like:
- Storage – the side pockets provide a convenient place for storing your belongings as you sleep on the camping cot.
- Warranty – This cot is backed by a 1 year limited manufacturer warranty. As such, the manufacturer is responsible for resolving any problems.
- Colors – available in 5 different colors, you can choose your preferred option.
What we don’t like:
- Noise – Some customers have reported that this cot produced a loud noise each time they attempted to move.
- 【STURDY & HEAVY DUTY】Finished with updated and thicker elliptical shape tubes on the cot legs, adding the camp cot to best stability and carrying capacity. It easily supports up to 500 lbs at most. Perfect for tall adults, heavy people, or family.
- 【LARGER SIZE】The folding cot for adults measures 75"x28"x15" when open, 1 inch wider than usual. Pack size 41"x9"x7". Weighes 14.7 pounds. The cot leg tubes measures 1.1"x1.5". The thicker sleeping cot bed ensures single person freedom movement in using.
- 【EASY to SET UP and CARRY】No assembly required. The sleeping cot for adults can be easily installed or folded up into an included storage bag within 10 seconds. Convenient for rest or transport.
- 【MULTI-USE】 The portable adults cot for camping is available in green with pillow, blue and grey, best for outdoor grass, forest, indoor bedroom, living room, office and any places you need to sleep.
- 【QUALITY GUARANTEE】REDCAMP offers a 365-day limited manufacturer warranty. If there is anything goes wrong with the sturdy camping cot, please contact us immediately by email. We will reply within 24 hours and provide a friendly customer service.
When it comes to durability, the ARAER Camping Cot does not disappoint. Made with a double layer of 600d Oxford fabric, the surface of this bed is very robust and will support a maximum weight of 450 lbs.
It is also breathable and will allow the air to circulate rather than accumulate. The frame is composed of unique square high strength 25mm steel tubes which are super durable.
As for user compatibility, this camping cat can accommodate users measuring up to 6 ft 8. The sides of the cot are slightly raised so you needn’t worry about falling should you roll over as you sleep.
Furthermore, the feet of the bed are coated with an anti-slip material which will prevent the cot from moving, regardless of the terrain that it is situated on.
This cot can easily be collapsed and folded away in between uses. You are also provided with a carry bag which you can use to store the cot and transport it to different camping locations.
What we like:
- Cost – in comparison to many competitor offerings, the ARAER camping cot retails within a relatively affordable price range.
- Convenience – this bed can be folded away quickly which is going to be appreciated by those that are in a hurry.
- Sturdy – as this is a sturdy camping cot, it isn’t going to become easily damaged.
What we don’t like:
- Comfort – Unfortunately, this cot isn’t the most comfortable so some users may choose to use a mattress topper of some kind to improve the comfort.
- 【HEAVY DUTY & STABLE】Unique square high strength 25mm steel tubes, triangle structure and concave-convex symmetry design. Weights 7.2kg/15.8lbs; supports up to 450 lbs.
- 【DURABLE & COMFORTABLE】Breathable 600D double layer oxford fabric. Sleep comfortable without pillow as the angle of the top flanges. Fits most people up to 6'8".
- 【PORTABLE】Fold up to fit inside most car trunks. Storage bag included for easy transport and store. Perfect for adults, children/kids, staff, campers, explorers, or unexpected house guest.
- 【Slim But Comfy】: Just because it’s foldable doesn’t mean it can’t be comfortable! The ARAER folding camping cot, features a slightly tilted end made with polyester fiber so it’s comfy for sleeping even without a pillow.
- 【WIDELY USED】Not only as camping, patio and pool furniture, but also in beauty salons and reflexology offices all across the world.
For our final option, we have selected the ALPHA CAMP Oversized Camping Cot. It has a maximum weight capacity of 600 lbs and is suitable for users that are up to 6 ft 2” tall.
The surface has been made from tough Oxford fabric whilst the frame has been constructed from high strength steel tubes which makes it very durable.
The triangular frame means that it can easily be folded and unfolded as and when required. The reinforced bandage is going to enhance the stability of this camping cot. Thanks to the anti-slip feet you can be sure that this cot is going to remain securely positioned as you sleep.
Moreover, the sides of the cot are ever so slightly raised and will prevent you from rolling off as you move.
At just over 14 pounds, this is a lightweight camping cot that can easily be carried alongside your other gear. You are also provided with a carry bag that can be used to transport this camping cot to different locations when needed.
What we like:
- Colors – there are 2 different colors available; navy and grey. As such, you can select your preferred option.
- Storage – the side compartment can be used to store your belongings as you sleep.
- Convenience – thanks to the design of this camping cot, it is ready to use straight out of the box, you simply need to unfold it.
What we don’t like:
- Size – several customers have stated that this cot was narrower than they were expecting and because of this, they struggled to get a comfortable night’s sleep.
- 🔥 【High Grade Material】High strength steel tubes bracket and triangle structure. Durable steel frame and 600D x 300D Oxford fabric can support up to 600 pounds
- ✍ 【Dimensions】Measures 74.8 x 26.4 x 13.8 inches when unfolded; can accommodate most people up to 6 feet 2 inches tall
- 🚗 【Lightweight and Portable】Weighing in at a little over 14 pounds, ALPHA CAMP cot bed is light enough to add to your pack to ensure great sleep wherever you are
- 🔧 【Easy Setup】Foldable aluminum shock-cord pole structure makes for easy assemble, within minutes you can finish the assembly process. Disassemble is also the same simple
- 🚩【Versatility】Convenient for overnight hiking, trekking, hunting, road trip, also ideal for indoor and office lunch break use. Throw off burden to light travel now!
Best Camping Cot Buyer’s Guide
Before selecting your camping cot, there are several factors that you will need to consider. As you can see, the market is inundated with offerings from different brands. Some will cater to your needs whilst others may not. Factoring in the following criteria will help you during your search.
The comfort of the camping cot is going to be of utmost importance. If it is uncomfortable, you are going to struggle to enjoy a good night’s sleep.
Generally, larger camping cots tend to be more comfortable because the bigger surface area provides you with more space to sleep. You can also move around without having to worry about falling.
If you are going to be backpacking you will need to establish whether comfort or transportation is a priority. Whilst some people may be happy to carry a heavier cot because they don’t want to compromise on a comfortable night’s sleep, others may prefer something a little less substantial but easy to maneuver.
The size of the camping cot will determine how easy it is to carry. The majority are designed to accommodate one person but you will get some that are wider than others.
You will also need to pay attention to the length of the cot to make sure that it is suitable for you. The specifications of the cot will state these details along with its maximum weight capacity.
You want to invest in a camping cot that has been durably constructed. A cot that has been substantially constructed from heavy-duty materials is more likely to deliver long-lasting use.
A sturdy aluminum frame and robust surface material are desirable. Although lighter camping cots are viable options, you should expect them to be a little more fragile.
Your camping cot should be easy to assemble. You don’t want to spend lengthy amounts of time trying to figure out what part goes where. Some will be designed in a way that requires you to slot the different parts together.
Others will be foldable and are ready to use right out of the box. Simply expand it and situate it where required.
Once you have finished using it, you will then need to collapse it so that it folds back down. It is worth reading reviews from previous customers regarding how easy it is to put together.
As expected, a heavier camp cot is going to be more difficult to carry and this may become particularly problematic if you have to walk quite far to reach your destination.
While some camping cots can weigh as little as 5 pounds, others are going to weigh a lot more. It is recommended that you opt for a camping cot that is lightweight but doesn’t compromise on durability.
Support is an important factor to consider when selecting a camping cot and this is going to be especially important if you are likely to be sleeping on it for a few nights.
Some camping cots will also be designed with raised sides that will make you feel more secure because you will not need to worry about falling out of the bed as you move throughout the night.
Some camping cots are designed with additional compartments that you can use to store your smaller belongings as you sleep. It is worth noting that this isn’t a feature that is found on all camping cots so you will need to evaluate whether this is going to influence your purchase.
In regards to storing the camping cot, the majority will come with a bag that can be used to carry it. Simply collapse or disassemble it once you have finished using it and then pop it into the bag provided.
Camping cots can retail at various prices, some of which are significantly more expensive than others. It is important to set a budget before browsing the market because you can then cater your search towards this.
You will sometimes find that the cheaper options lack quality in comparison to those that are more expensive. This doesn’t mean that there aren’t worthy, budget friendly options available, but it is important to make your choice carefully.
There are some brands that are known for producing high-quality, reliable outdoor products. For this reason, you may feel encouraged to make your purchase with one of these well-known brands for assurance of quality.
On the other hand, there are some lesser known brands that still produce high-standard products.
You will find some brands that cover their camping cots with a warranty. This means that you are going to be covered against any defects.
The length of this policy can differ between brands and some will not offer a warranty at all. The specifications of the product will state whether or not the cot is covered by a warranty.
As such, you must determine whether the offering of a warranty is going to influence the product that you choose.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a camping cot worth it?
A camping cot elevates you off the ground and allows you to sleep comfortably in hot and cold weather. Not only can they help to improve air circulation, but they also provide your back and this will likely be appreciated by those who find themselves sleeping on uneven terrain.
Are camping cots warm?
A camping cot is an ideal choice for those who enjoy camping during the winter months. Because you are raised above the ground, you aren’t going to be in direct contact with it and you will therefore lose less body heat. It is important to note that the camping cot itself isn’t going to be warm, so you will need to use a sleeping bag too.
Is a cot better than an air mattress?
There are benefits associated with a camping cot and an air mattress. Both are available in larger varieties meaning that they can consume a hefty amount of space inside your tent.
In regards to easy storage and transportation, an air mattress offers the easiest solution as it is more compact when folded. A camping cot on the other hand tends to be more durable due to the sturdy frames. They also position the sleeper at an elevation above the ground.