In many campsites across the country, fire pits are a standard feature. But if you’re camping off the grid or in a region that prohibits fires on the ground, a portable camping fire pit is a worthwhile investment. Not only can you use it on camping trips, you can also set it up in the backyard (and in some cases, on a patio).
No matter where you’re camping, it’s always a good idea to check local fire rules and regulations. (In certain times of the year in certain parts of the country, fires of all types are prohibited.) As wildfires continue to be a significant problem worldwide, campers should do their part to practice fire safety and prevention.
That said, our picks for best camping fire pits are all designed to be safe and easy-to-use. When choosing a fire pit, here are some things to consider:
- Fuel type: Do you prefer wood-burning or propane fire pits? If the latter, do you have access to propane?
- Size and portability: Will you set up the fire pit at a campsite and leave it for the season or will you pack it up for each camping trip?
- Cooking: Do you plan to cook or grill over the fire? If so, you’ll want to buy a fire pit that’s big enough to accommodate your cooking needs and can be used with a grill grate.
Here are our favorite camping fire pits:
Best Camping Fire Pits: Wood-burning
If you have firewood to spare or you’re looking for a traditional campfire experience, check out the following wood-burning fire pits.UCO Flatpack Grill & Fire Pit
This Flatpack fire pit from UCO comes in two sizes: mini (with a 9 x 6.75-inch grilling area) and regular (with a 13 x 10-inch grilling area). Whichever size you choose, this handy fire pit sets up in just 30 seconds and folds flat when not in use. An integrated grill means that you can easily use it for cooking and to keep warm. It’s also the cheapest fire pit on our list so it’s perfect for first-time campers or people with a limited budget.
- Stainless steel grill folds to 1.5 inches thick and fits in a backpack; can be used as a fire pit; comes in regular or mini sizes (sold separately)
- Regular size features 13 x 10-inch grilling area for up to 6 servings; mini features 9 x 6.75-inch grilling area for up to 3 servings
- Stable base for safe grilling; quick 30-second setup; sides of grill serve as a wind-break
- Safely contains fire and keeps fire off the ground; constructed from durable stainless steel to provide high rust and corrosion resistance
This low-profile fire pit is perfect for when you want to have a traditional campfire but want to have minimal or no impact on the ground and surrounding environment. The fire pit folds up to a compact size and weighs around 2 lbs. If you’re prefer to use it for cooking, you can purchase a grill grate (sold separately) and burn coals instead of wood.
- ULTIMATE PORTABILITY: Two parts, that's it. Fire Safe's stainless steel insert and frame both fold to less than 1 inch and weigh under 2.2 pounds. So portable you can take it anywhere.
- POST FIRE PROMISE: We'll replace any part that isn't functioning properly within your first year of reasonable use. Even in the fire, we've got you covered.
- ENGINEERED FOR EFFICIENCY: Fire Safe's frame acts as a built in wind-shield and its segmented design facilitates airflow overtop and below your fire. Have better fires with less fuel.
- ONLY THE BEST FIRES: Use wood or charcoal. Make a small cooking fire or a backyard bonfire. Fire Safe is as flexible as you are.
- CARRYING CASE INCLUDED: Premium carrying case made of recycled materials holds your Fire Safe, with extra space for a Wolf and Grizzly Fire Set, tinder, or anything else you need.
Fireside Outdoor was founded in 2016 with the goal of making campfires safer and better for the environment. A team of engineers developed their pop-up fire pit so that it’s easy to use and easy to contain. When you purchase the fire pit, you’ll also get a grill grate, heat shield (to protect the ground underneath), and a carrying case.Solo Stove Ranger Fire Pit
The futuristic looking fire pits from Solo Stoves have been gaining a cult following and for good reason. These simple portable fire pits are lightweight, easy to use, and come in a variety of sizes. Although they are meant for wood-burning fires, they’re specially designed to minimize smoke. The Ranger model is the smallest of their fire pit line at 12.5 inches tall and 15 inches wide.
- Portable fire Power - Solo Stove Ranger, Our most compact fire pit, pushes the limits of both combustion airflow efficiency and portability. It was painstakingly engineered to provide a low smoke fire that cannot be duplicated. The Ranger Patent pending design Sold over $1. 7M in pre-orders on Kickstarter in 2018.
- Less smoke, more flame - double wall design maximizes airflow and burning process. Bottom vent holes allow oxygen to the feed the fire from below while the double walls warm It, creating a burst of hot air over the fire reducing the smoke without the use of batteries and fans.
- A more efficient burn - a more complete burn means the little Particles that would have been smoke are burned up by the top vents. It also means no more half burned logs to deal with.
- No more shuffling from smoke - Since the Ranger burns with Almost no smoke, you'll spend less time dodging smoke and your clothes won't smell like campfire. You'll spend more time enjoying the fire!
- Easy to use & portable - the Ranger singular construction completely removes the need for parts and assembly! Bring it from your backyard patio to camping, or tailgating! Great for RVs and campers!
The Titan from Solo Stove is the younger sibling of the Ranger. Although similar in design, the Titan is intended to be a wood-burning backpacking stove. (It can also be used on fire-safe outdoor tabletops.) Despite its small size, the Titan is an efficient cooker and can boil water in just 4-5 minutes. It’s also the perfect mini fire pit for s’mores.
- GEAR OF THE YEAR WINNER
- PATENTED DESIGN - LESS SMOKE. The patented design features a unique double wall that creates ultra-clean gasification and a secondary combustion. This allows fuel to burn more completely and with less smoke.
- FUEL IS FREE.
- COMPACT SPACE SAVING DESIGN. The Solo Stove Titan is designed to nest inside the companion Solo Stove Pot 1800 (sold separately) leaving you with more room in your backpack.
- LIGHTWEIGHT & FAST BOIL TIME. Boils water in 4-6 mins (34 fl oz. water). 5.1" Diameter, 5.6"/7.9” tall (packed/assembled). Weighs only 16.5 oz. Made of premium stainless steel and nichrome wire. Nylon stuff sack included.
This steel fire pit from Snow Peak is an easy way to keep a campfire contained and off the ground. It comes in two sizes and folds up into a carrying case (included).
Best Camping Fire Pits: Propane
Propane fire pits are growing in popularity and it’s easy to see why. Just like indoor gas fireplaces, this type of fire pit doesn’t require any wood or fire-building skills. When you’re ready to cook or sit by the fire’s glow, you simply turn it on. (Just make sure you have enough propane!)Camp Chef Redwood Portable Propane Fire Pit
Lava rocks help disperse and radiate heat in this portable fire pit from Camp Chef—and they provide the ambiance of a wood-burning fire. The steel-frame fire pit comes with a connector and a 5-foot long hose so you can attach it to a propane fuel tank. Unlike wood-burning fires, this fire pit has an adjustable dial so you can set your fire to just the right intensity for roasting. (And as an added bonus, a carrying case and 4 extendable roasting sticks are included.)
- EASY TO USE FIREPIT: Goodbye to ash, purchasing firewood, annoying smoke and enjoy a clean realistic propane campfire. A great outdoor centerpiece for camping trips, RV travels, tailgating get-togethers, beach parties, and family evenings on the backyard patio.
- EASY TO TRANSPORT: Travel size fire pit is lightweight and portable; easily set up in minutes with no tools required. Firepit delivers a clean and smokeless flame with cozy warmth. Measures L 19” x W 19” x H 13” with total output of 55,000 BTU/HR.
- OVERCOME CAMPFIRE BANS: Camp Chef propane fire pits are allowed for use in most fire ban restrictions, check with the local ranger station before use.
- COMPLETE FIRE PIT KIT: Carry bag, pre-attached 5-Ft hose, fully adjustable heat- control knob, 4 extendable roasting sticks, and natural lava rock set designed to enhance flickering effect. Optional Natural Gas Conversion.
- CAMP CHEF QUALITY: Durable heavy gauge steel construction and nickel coated steel safety rings. The fully adjustable flame-control dial helps keep the flame the right size when roasting marshmallows or cooking hotdogs. The center piece has decorative pine tree cut outs to maintain that outdoor feel when gathered around the fire pit. Share stories and good times around the Camp Chef Redwood Portable Fire Pit.
This compact steel fire pit is easy to use and will provide hours of smoke-free campfire memories. Outland Living’s fire pits come in several sizes, and at 19 inches in diameter, this one is the smallest in the line-up. It comes with a regulator and a 10-foot hose.
For a small portable fire with a retro look, check out Camco’s Little Red Campfire. This propane-fueled fire comes with faux logs, built-in fire tray, adjustable regulator, and an 8-foot hose. Best of all, it all packs up into a sturdy red carrying case.Fire Sense Sporty Fire Pit
Fire Sense’s fire pit combines rugged construction with simple design. The steel frame is coated with a heat-resistant painted finish and the foldable legs make it easier to transport and store. Like most propane fire pits, this one comes with a regulator and hose, but it also comes with a lid and a propane stand.
- This fire pit has been made using heat resistant painted steel.
- The firepit for outside makes use of a standard 20 pound LPG propane tank.
- This propane fire pit comes with a lid, a propane stand, a regulator, and a hose.
- The outdoor fire pit measures 15 inch with foldable legs for easy portability.
- This outdoor heater is perfect for your porch or any other outdoor venue.
Fire Pit Accessories
No matter which fire pit you choose, here are some of our favorite campfire accessories:
- Roasting sticks: Telescoping roasting sticks are a must for campfire cooking and roasting. This set includes 8 color-coded roasting sticks and a carrying case.
- Ember mat: Using a fireproof mat beneath your fire pit will protect the lawn, patio, or campsite.
- Pie irons: Pie irons are an easy way to make meals over the fire—from breakfast sandwiches to mini hot apple pies. For inspiration, check out these pie iron recipes.
- Popcorn popper: Along with marshmallows and hot dogs, fresh popcorn is another classic campfire food. This 2-quart popper will make enough popcorn for the whole family.