For those who love the open road and sleeping under the stars, motorcycle camping might be the adventure you’re looking for. But just like campers who backpack, bike, or paddle, you’ll need some specialized gear that’s designed to be portable and easy to pack. If you’re headed for the open road, here’s the motorcycle camping gear you’ll need.
For the Road
First things first. If you’re camping and riding, you’ll want to make sure that you—and your bike—are outfitted for the adventure. The specific gear you’ll need is mainly determined by the make and model of your motorcycle but personal preferences (and your destination) are also worth considering.
One of the most important pieces of motorcycle camping gear is a set of panniers (or saddlebags). Nearly everything you pack for your trip will have to fit inside them. The two main types are soft bags and hard cases. The style you choose depends on your personal preference as well as your bike’s design. (Not all panniers/saddlebags fit on all types of motorcycles. Make sure to do your research to determine the options that’ll work best for your bike.) Another difference between the two types is that while hard cases are more secure (and often come with locks), soft bags can easily be removed from the bike and brought to wherever you need them.
- 100% WATERPROOF motorcycle saddlebags (2pcs) with high-frequency welded seams.
- ROLL TOP design with AIR VALVE keeps luggage DRY and COMPACT.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION, waterproof PVC tarpaulin with neoprene SHIELD.
- 4 COMPRESSION STRAPS per 24L bag, one each on the top and bottom and one on each side.
- EASY MOUNTING to most any DUAL-SPORT and ADVENTURE bikes and ANY BIKE WITH TUBULAR FRAMES with two nylon straps / bag. BONUS SCRAMBLER STRAPS for SINGLE BAG MOUNTING on bikes with high exhaust on one side.
- 37 Liter Left and Right side Outback silver side-cases
- Requires GIVI CAM hardware sold separately
- Aluminum structure and profiles
- Die-cast aluminum and inserts in reinforced technopolymer
Most people go motorcycle camping during the warmer seasons but you should always be prepared for less-than-ideal weather conditions. Even if the weather forecast is warm for your trip, make sure to pack or wear a jacket that’s windproof and waterproof. You might not end up needing it, but if it rains or the temperature drops, you’ll be glad you have it. (And as all riders know, even on a warm days, wind can make you feel a lot cooler.)
Gloves aren’t a must-have but they’ll protect your hands and, if necessary, keep them warm. If you’re riding and camping in hot weather, look for gloves with ventilation features that are meant to keep your hands cool.
- Hook and loop wrist closure.
- Ergonomic stretch insert on palm.
- Thumb and palm reinforcement for a superior grip made from advanced poly blend.
- Touchscreen compatible fingertip.
- Simple urban styling with embossed logo.
- The Powersports Motorcycle Gloves can be used for riding, ATVs, hiking, driving, and work gloves.
- Construction: Our riding gloves feature carbon fiber knuckles and the palm is made of non-slip rubber for a comfortable grip. The arch-shaped design at the knuckles also provides a good protection from falls and crashes.
- Comfortable: The gloves are made from vented, breathable fabric that lets you feel comfortable. The lightweight material that the gloves are made from also helps your hands to stay cool on hot days.
- Mobile Touchscreen: Our Powersports Motorcycle Racing Gloves have three pads at the fingertips for use on your touch screen smart phones and tablets.
- The Live Free Guarantee: All Indie Ridge motorcycle gloves and products are backed by The Live Free Guarantee. You'll never pay for something you don't want. Ever.
It’s smart to wear a helmet when riding, and depending on what state you’re in, it might be required by law. And bonus: It’ll protect you from the elements including rain and sunburn.
You won’t need all the cords that are included in this bungee cord set, but you’ll want to pack at least a few. They’re great for securing items to your bike and for hanging gear at camp.
First Aid Kit
For Sleeping & Relaxing
After a day on the road, it’s important to have a comfortable place to relax. Similar to backpacking, gear weight matters when you’re motorcycle camping. (So does an item’s size once it’s packed into its carrying case or stuff sack.) In general, shop for tents and sleeping bags that are designed for motorcycle camping or backpacking.
Choose a lightweight tent that packs down to a small size. (Backpacking tents are a great option.) Even if you’re camping alone, consider a two-person tent. It’ll be more comfortable and you’ll have space to stow anything you’d like to keep inside. There are even some tents that are designed with a space to park your bike.
- There's no assembly frustration with our Zephyr Tent series; this free-standing, aluminum two-pole design can be setup in no time, with pole clips that quickly snap over tent poles
- Polyester tent fly, with 1500mm coating, resists water and UV damage while adding two vestibules for extra storage
- Great ventilation with two mesh doors and entire mesh walls
- Fully equipped with #8 zippers, mesh storage pockets, gear loft, aluminum stakes and guy ropes
- Base Size: 4'10 x 7'4, Center Height: 38" Total Weight: 5 lbs. 11 oz., Minimum Weight: 4 lbs. 14 oz., Packed Size 6.5" x 19"
- Fully featured and refreshed for 2020, the reliable backpacking companion Grand Mesa tent is now even grander. Easy, affordable, and awesome… like your favorite freeze-dried meal. Without the heart burn.
- 2020 Updates: Kelty Quick Corners keep poles in place during setup, EZ-Zip vestibule with fully taped seams, Shark Mouth carry bag for easier pack up and storage.
- Dependable Materials: 2 compact folding, DAC pressfit aluminum poles, weather resistant and long lasting 68D polyester tent floor and rainfly fabric, and fully seam taped construction. Color coded clip and fly attachment for simple set up.
- Freestanding, Lightweight Design: Freestanding design allows for the tent to be pitched and then moved around to find the best camp site. Lightweight materials contribute a weight of 4lbs. 1oz (2 person) or 6lbs. 13oz (4 Person).
- The Nitty Gritty: Overall size (in inches) 85x57/44, 30 square feet interior space, packed size 16x7x7in, packed weight 4lbs. 12oz. 1 door, 1 vestibule, rated for 3 season use.
- TENT WITH MOTORCYCLE PORT: Bike port camping tent with spacious design stores a full-sized motorcycle with room for 3 people to sleep comfortably
- PROTECT YOUR BIKE AND GEAR: Includes a separate, secure enclosure attached to the inner tent for storing your bike and gear
- 4 ENTRYWAYS: Convenient access thanks to 4 different entryways from the tent and bike port; mesh panel provides privacy and protects against bugs
- HEAVY-DUTY CAMPING TENT: 3-season tent with waterproof rainfly for cover and protection from heavy rain and strong wind; waterproof floor keeps campers dry through the night
- EASY SETUP: Tent includes 4 aluminum poles with stakes for quick and easy setup; multifunctional tent packs up easily into motorcycle bag or carrier
Sleeping Bag & Pillow
Opt for a lightweight and compact sleeping bag that’s compatible with the season. (Though if you’re motorcycle camping, it’s likely you’re only camping in warmer seasons.) Here are a few options along with a backpacking pillow that’s perfect for traveling:
- Mummy-style 45-degree sleeping bag for backpacking and other outdoor activities; featuring SpiraFil high-loft insulation for maximum warmth and durability
- EN rated as comfortable for men at a lower limit of approximately 45°F
- Full-length, locking YKK two-way zipper
- Regular: 1 pound, 13 ounce.; pack volume: 305.7 curie (5.01 liters); interior length: 84"; 50D 100 Percent polyester, 2.1 ounce/yard; 50D 100 percent polyester, 1.3 ounce/yard
- Long: 2 pounds; pack volume: 308.8 curie (5.06 liters); interior length: 90"; 50D 100 percent polyester, 2.1 ounce/yard; 50D 100 percent polyester, 1.3 ounce/yard
- Keeping you plenty warm, this +35 degree bag is filled with our 2.5 denier TechLoft Micro insulation
- Outer shell features highly durable nylon ripstop fabric, paired with an inner polyester lining
- Two-layer offset construction with insulated chest and zipper baffle eliminates cold spots and increases warmth
- Second zipper provides extra ventilation and allows you more freedom to sit up inside the bag
- Dimensions: 80" L x 32" W, Weight: 2 lbs. 12oz., Fill Weight: 21 oz.
- 0 Degree Sleeping Bag: Perfect cold weather sleeping bag features WR 625 fill power synthetic insulation with a revolutionary ClusterLoft base to keep you warm from 0 - 30 F; Great for wet conditions
- Hiking Gear: Designed for thru-hiking, backpacking and camping, this lightweight sleeping bag boasts a superior weight-to-warmth ratio at only 3.54 lbs for Regular; Sleeping bag stuff sack included
- Hydrophobic Water Repellent: DWR-Coated camping sleeping bags for adults feature 400T 20 D ripstop nylon fabric liner, large YKK zippers with anti-snag slider, velcro, drawstring & horizontal baffles
- Save Space & Weight: Don't sacrifice comfort! The regular mummy sleeping bag will fit a 6ft person; Warm but ultralight, 4 season winter sleeping bag
- Hyke & Byke Sleeping Bags: USA-based brand offers premium quality camping gear collection of adult & kids sleeping bags, camping tents & sleeping pods for all your adventures in the great outdoors
- Ultralight (9 ounce) compressible travel pillow with soft foam filling that packs down small for road trips, plane travel, camping, and backpacking
- Foam filling expands into a 4-inch thick pillow for head, neck, and back support in tents, cars, planes, and other tough-to-get-comfortable places
- Compact design packs into a backpack, duffle, suitcase, or tote; drawstring and cord lock keeps pillow securely compressed when not in use
- Brushed polyester cover is soft against skin for comfort; lofty urethane fill is an upcycled byproduct of Thermarest mattresses
- Pillow measures 14 x 18 x 4 inches (14 x 5 x 6 inches compressed) and weighs 9 ounces; before use, shake and fluff to restore loft; machine washable; made in the USA
To save on space and weight you can always sleep on the ground—but we wouldn’t recommend it. Thankfully there are plenty of sleeping pad options that are lightweight and packable. Try a self-inflating roll-up option instead of a more traditional foam pad. The latter can be bulky and takes up more space when you pack it up.
- Rejuvenate Your Body: Our revolutionary hexagon design is made special with body mapping technology. The hexagon air cells ergonomically support all of your pressure points, giving you superior support and comfort all night long, no matter how you sleep! The mat is also a camping gear must haves luxury, being comfortable yet lightweight. It rolls up small, making it effortless to carry around. The cot comes in a variety of color choices, sure to match anyone's personality.
- Live Your Life to the Fullest: It's time to plan a trip! The camp mat cannot be easier to inflate than with our inflating bag. It has a dual action, non-leak air valve, to inflate and deflate the mattress. Being light & small when packed, it won't cause backaches from its weight, and it fits easily in your backpack. Being insulated, it's perfect for the best night of sleep during any type of adventure, whether it be hiking, camping, backpacking, and more, in any weather!
- Unique Everlasting Durability: It's the mat of all mats! The Sleeping Pad is made of durable, outdoor grade materials, such as 75D nylon. It includes thermal insulation, to keep your body warm from the cold winter ground. It is 100% waterproof, making it perfect for any outdoor activities. You can say goodbye to sore backs and other discomforts normally left by bumps and rocks underneath the floor of your tent!
- Everything You Need for Outdoors: This exclusive item comes with a Sleeping Pad, carry bag, 2 repair kits, and an inflating bag. A patch kit is also included, stitched into the top of the storage bag. The inflating bag was designed with you in mind, for all of your needs. In addition to inflating the mattress, it can be used for several different things, such as a pillow, a waterproof carry or laundry bag, or to carry the sleeping mat itself!
- 100% Refund/Replacement Warranty: PowerLix guarantees to have your back! We want you to be nothing but happy with your new, top of the line, camping bed! Our professional customer service is therefore here to do whatever it takes to guarantee your satisfaction. That's why your purchase comes backed with our incredible warranty; anytime, any reason, no questions asked!
- As the lightest and most compact self-inflating sleeping pad available, the ProLite provides essential comfort for any adventure
- Equipped with a dependable and rugged WingLock valve, the pad inflates 3 times faster than a standard valve and features lightning-fast deflation
- 2.4 R-value means the ProLite delivers essential warmth and comfort during three-season camping and backpacking
- Suited to backpacking and fast-and-light excursions, the 1-inch thick mattress is an ultra-compact backcountry sleeping solution
- Regular measures 72x20x1 inches, packs to 11x5.8 inches, and weighs 18 ounces; stuff sack included; made in the USA
- 𝐀 𝐒𝐢𝐳𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐚 𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐘𝐞𝐭 𝐁𝐢𝐠 𝐨𝐧 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭: Packs small 8.5” Height *3” Diameter When inflated it goes as large as 72” * 23 Widest 19 Narrowest” with 3.2” Thickness and weights only 17 Oz,
- 𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐔𝐥𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐘𝐞𝐭 𝐔𝐥𝐭𝐫𝐚 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐠: Our Water-Resistant Hexagon Shield 40D Nylon Fabric With E-LAST coating Makes ApolloAir Camping Mattress 2.5 x times stronger than current market standards without sacrificing the Weight Which makes it perfect for any outdoors environment
- 𝐒𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐄𝐫𝐠𝐨𝐧𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐜 𝐃𝐞𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐧 𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝟓.𝟐 𝐑-𝐕𝐚𝐥𝐮𝐞: 3.2” Horizontal Insulating air Chambers will effectively distribute your weight on the sleeping pad while preventing the ground from sucking the heat out of your body, which makes ApolloAir Camping pad suitable for all seasons
- 𝐋𝐮𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐅𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐈𝐧𝐟𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐪𝐮𝐢𝐜𝐤 𝐀𝐝𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐞 : Coming with a Pump Sack taking 5 minutes to “inflate > Adjust > Seal > Deflate” hence the name I>A>S>D. The 4 Step Anti Leak Valve System, To store Just vertically trifold it after deflation then roll towards the valve direction and it’ll perfectly fit into it’s carry Pouch , The Pump Sack can also be used as a dry bag , camp shower , or for water storage
- 𝐀𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐭𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐉𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐲 : our mission is to make sure your outdoor experience is an enjoyable adventure , so we use the best quality materials , test every single unit before we ship them out , Provide a detailed user manual , repair Kit and we back all this with our Hassle-Free Lifetime Replacement -No Need To Return-
A lightweight waterproof tarp can do double duty: use it as a ground cover underneath your tent or hang it with some paracord to create a sun or rain shelter.
Sometimes the simplest technology is the best. These windproof, waterproof matches will ensure that you’re always able to start a fire when you need it. They come in a waterproof carrying case and include three strikers.
There are a few basics items that make meal prep easier. (That said, if simplicity if what you’re after, you can also pack food that doesn’t require refrigeration or a camp stove.)
Just because you’re short on space doesn’t mean you have to skimp on meals. A lightweight backpacking stove will allow you to cook hot meals and make your morning coffee. With this JetBoil cooking system, you won’t have to purchase (or pack) extra cookware because it’s included. (Fuel sold separately.)
- Powered by FluxRing technology, the Zip's easy-to-use cooking system boils water in just over two minutes with half the fuel consumption of traditional systems.
- Jetboil's 0.8-liter FluxRing cooking cup with insulating cozy makes boiling water—and keeping it warm—a breeze.
- The bottom cover doubles as a measuring cup and a bowl, saving space in your pack for clothes, gear, and food.
- Compatible Jetboil accessories, such as a coffee press, hanging kit, pot support, skillet, FluxRing cooking pot, and utensils make this a necessity for your next backpacking adventure.
- Includes fuel canister stabilizer and drink-through lid with pour spout and strainer; easy to pack and carry at only 12 ounces. One-year limited warranty.
Cookware Set & Cooking Utensils
Collapsible or nesting cookware sets have long been popular with backpackers and they’re great for motorcycle campers too. If your stove doesn’t come with cookware, buy a set that includes at least one medium-sized pot with a lid and lift lifter. (This is the size you’ll likely use most often.) If the cookware set you choose doesn’t come with cooking utensils, buy a small set you can stow inside one of the pots.
Depending on the types of meals you’ll make, you’ll probably want a plate, bowl, fork, and spoon for each person. This 4-piece mess kit from UCO has everything you need.
- Mess kit for camping, backpacking, scouting, and meals on-the-go; includes plate, bowl, 3-in-1 spork utensil, and tether for securing kit and contents
- For meal storage and transport, the bowl and plate connect with an airtight seal; included tether secures spork and keeps kit contents contained
- 3-in-1 spork features a spoon on one end and a fork with serrated knife edge on the other; made from durable reinforced glass nylon
- Bowl and plate have rubberized grips on the bottom to prevent slippage on tabletop while eating
- Microwave and dishwasher safe
With a motorcycle, you don’t have the option of lugging a large cooler but that doesn’t mean you’re stuck eating nonperishable food and lukewarm drinks. Try IceMule's classic cooler bag. It comes in 4 sizes—its mini size holds 9 liters while it’s large size can hold up to 20 liters. Its compressible roll-top design and sling strap make it easy to both pack and carry.
10 More Motorcycle Camping Hacks, Tips and Tricks