For most people, a dependable cooler is a must-have for camping trips. When you don’t have electricity and the nearest refrigerator is back at home, a cooler is the only way to keep drinks cold and food fresh. The first coolers were invented in the 1950s (though they were called “portable ice chests” at the time) and Coleman popularized them when they developed a galvanized ice chest in 1954.
Today coolers have come a long way and you can find one in nearly any size and to fit any budget. The newest coolers on the market are roto-molded which means that they’re made with a process called rotational molding. This manufacturing process insures that the insulation of the cooler is completely uniform without an gaps or imperfections. The end result is an incredibly durable cooler.
When shopping for a cooler, it’s important to consider three main factors: durability, insulation, and portability. (In our experience, the most portable coolers have rugged wheels and a sturdy handle.) With that in mind, we’ve rounded up 10 of the best coolers with wheels that deliver on all three.
- 1 YETI Tundra Haul
- 2 Igloo Trailmate Journey
- 3 Igloo Ice Cube Roller Cooler
- 4 Igloo Island Breeze
- 5 Coleman Xtreme Wheeled Cooler
- 6 Coleman Soft Cooler With Wheels
- 7 Coleman Personal Wheeled Cooler
- 8 Pelican ProGear Elite Wheeled Cooler
- 9 Milee Wheeled Cooler
- 10 Evolution Outdoor Design Rolling Cooler
- 11 Share this:
- 12 Related
Outdoor brand Yeti first made its name designing high-end coolers for serious outdoor enthusiasts—particularly hunters and anglers like the company’s founders. Today its line has expanded to many categories of outdoor gear but their roto-molded coolers are still in a class by themselves. For this model, YETI has taken its popular Tundra cooler and added wheels—the first wheeled cooler the company has ever made.
- Rotomolded Construction makes it armored to the core and virtually indestructible
- The Haul is the first-ever YETI cooler on wheels. Perfect for taking the Tundra's legendary toughness and unmatched insulation power the extra mile
- Never Flat Wheels A solid, single-piece tire construction that is impact- and puncture-resistant
- Strong Arm Handle A durable welded aluminum arm with comfortable grips. The curved design tracks left or right for heel-friendly towing
- Rotomolded Construction - Makes it armored to the core and virtually indestructible
Igloo coolers have been around since 1947. (You can see a visual evolution of their products here.) Today they offer a wide range of cooler styles from insulated lunch bags to rugged trail-ready models. Igloo’s Trailmate Journey model is a tough cooler with oversized wheels that are designed to handle varied terrain from beach sand to rocky trails. More importantly, Igloos claims its insulation will keep ice from melting for up to 4 days.
- Ultratherm insulated body and lid provide 4-day ice retention performance
- Butler tray utilizes the telescoping handle for serving snacks and drinks, and it stores under the lid when not in use
- Two bottle openers are at your fingertips when you're ready to enjoy another refreshment
- Oversized 10 inch never-flat wheels tackle Sand and other challenging terrain with superior traction and ease. Ultratherm Fully insulated for advanced cooling performance
- Exterior Dimensions ( L x W x H )- 34.59 x 19.7 x 23.61 inches. Weight-34.7 pounds. Self-draining cup holders keep your cold ones in arm's reach
This Igloo model is less rugged than the Trailmate but is the perfect model for car camping or day at the lake. First, it’s budget-friendly and gets high marks from reviewers. And second, it offers helpful features like a telescoping handle and soft wheels that cushion the impact as you roll it along. Its 60-quart capacity also gives you a plenty of room for your weekend necessities.
- Ultratherm insulated body keeps cold for a long time
- Push button and locking telescopic handle
- Durable wheels and reinforced tow handle make transporting a full cooler easy
- Molded side scoop handles for ease of loading and unloading
- 60 quart capacity. Exterior Dimensions ( L x W x H )-20 x 18.5 x 20.69 inches. Interior Dimensions ( L x W x H )-Top - 16.75 x 14.5 x 17.25 inches, Bottom - 15.25 x 12 x 17.25 inches
For shorter trips or when you’re tight on space, this 28-quart Igloo model has most of the Ice Cube’s features in a smaller size.
- Pack 28 quarts' worth of your favorite food and beverages, then roll it to your destination of choice
- Push-button, locking, telescoping handle, and soft ride sports wheels and molded side scoop handles
- Elevated cooler design improves cooling performance by minimizing contact with ground and other hot surfaces
- 41 12-oz cans. 28 quarts (26 liters). Ice Retention Days 3
- Includes limited one-year manufacturer's warranty
Coleman is another outdoor brand with some history. (It got its start around the turn of the 20th century with their TK the Coleman Lantern.) But today the company produces everything from camp stoves to dog toys. The Coleman Xtreme Wheeled Cooler is from its larger class of coolers with a 50-quart capacity and guaranteed ice retention of up to five days. Not to be overlooked is the fact that it comes with a leak-proof drain hole, a particularly important feature for coolers of this size.
- Xtreme Technology; Insulated lid and extra wall insulation keep ice up to 5 days in temperatures as high as 90F
- HIGH CAPACITY: Holds up to 84 cans
- HEAVY-DUTY WHEELS: Effortless rolling over any terrain
- Have-a-Seat Lid: Closed Lid Supports Up to 250 Lb.
- CUP HOLDERS: Molded into the lid to keep drinks close and prevent spilling
If you prefer a soft style to save on weight and space, Coleman’s Soft Cooler with wheels is another highly rated model. Its upright style and telescoping handle make it feel more like a suitcase than a clunky cooler. It also comes with a removable—and sturdy—liner that prevents the contents from being crushed. The dry storage pocket and exterior bungees provide storage options for dry goods or utensils.
- Treated with antimicrobials to resist odor, mold, mildew, and fungus from forming on removable liner that offers packing flexibility and easy cleaning
- Holds 42 cans
- Zippered main compartment keeps contents cold; use hard plastic liner if packing with ice, no need for liner with ice substitutes
- Heat-welded seams prevent leaks
- Telescoping handle and durable wheels for easy transport; side handles for more carrying control
Most of the coolers on our list are large-capacity but sometimes, you don’t need to bring your whole refrigerator with you. This 16-quart model from Coleman has a retractable handle, recessed wheels, and the assurance that your food and drinks can be kept cold for two days.
- Made of the highest quality materials
- Camping coolers
- Another quality Coleman product
- 16-qt. capacity
- Holds 22 cans
Pelican was founded in 1976 by a scuba diver who saw a need for durable cases that wouldn’t leak. Today the company still specializes in cases including insulated coolers and phone cases. Its ProGear Elite cooler comes in 45-quart and 80-quart sizes.
- Interior: 19" x 12" x 12" (48.2 x 30.5 x 30.5 cm)
- Exterior: 29.66" x 20" x 19.25" (75.3 x 50.8 x 48.9 cm)
- Up to 10 days ice retention, freezer grade gasket, 2" polyurethane insulation
- Built in trolley handle with molded-in handles
- Press & Pull Latches (Wide for Gloved Use)
It’s hard to find details about this cryptic brand yet its products—including this particular model—are highly rated. Its features seem comparable to Yeti and other heavy-duty coolers of this class: rotomolded construction, T-latches, heavy-duty wheels. Some reviewers even report that it’s sturdy enough to stand on but we’ll just take their word for it.
- (Included free gifts of $50 accessories) Hanging Wire Basket ,Cooler Divider and Cup Holder are free. .
- New design with Solid 7inch Diameter Wheels .
- Key features : Indestructible Rotomolded Thermoplastic Construction with commercial grade insulation, Freezer Style gasket, Military-grade nylon rope handles, Solid 7inch Diameter Wheels & Non-Slip Rubber Feet, Molded Tie-Down Slots with TPE T-Latch,No-Leak Drain Plug, Pressure Release Button, 2 Built-In Bottle Openers and More!
“Sleek” isn’t usually a word you’d use to describe a cooler, but with Evolution’s Rolling Cooler, it seems to fit. This 50-quart model may have a minimalist look compared to its competitors, but it comes with all-terrain wheels, a welded retractable handle, and a waterproof zipper closure.
- Large 50 quart capacity; Lightweight construction
- Holds up to 72 cans with 12 lbs. of ice
- Retractable 4-stage handle; All-terrain wheels for easier mobility
- 2.5 lid insulation keeps cold in and helps hold ice longer
- Cooler Size : 20" x 16" x 23" (Interior Dimensions: 17 x 12 x 14)