There are some household items that can do double-duty as camping gear like pillows, pots and pans, or dish towels. But most of the time, it’s nice to have equipment that’s designed with campers in mind and is durable enough to stand up to outdoor life.
Kitchen camping utensils—think forks, spoons, and spatulas—might seem like a splurge, but when you consider their durability, they can be a worthwhile investment. Plus, since they’re reusable, they’re much more environmental friendly than disposable plastic utensils.
Wondering how to choose the right camping utensils from all the options on the market? Here are some things to consider:
Cooking and eating preferences: When you’re camping, do you usually eat grab-and-go meals like sandwiches or premade dinners? If so, you don’t need to bother buying cooking utensils like tongs, spatulas, or utility knives. But if you enjoy cooking on a camp stove or campfire, these items are worth having.
Gear weight: Do you prefer car camping or do you hike to backcountry destinations? If the latter, you’ll want to consider the weight and portability of your camping utensils.
Quantity: When you’re camping, what’s the typical size of your group? You should have a set of eating utensils for each person.
Material: Today’s camping utensils are made from a variety of materials—including titanium, bamboo, stainless steel, aluminum—and each material has its pros and cons. The material will effect things like cost, durability, and how resistant the utensil is to odor absorption and stains.
No matter your camping menu, you’ll want to pack at least some type of eating utensils—whether they’re all-in-one sporks or flatware that’s worthy of a gourmet meal. Here are some of our favorites:Light My Fire Camping Spork
This camping spork from Swedish brand Light My Fire is a versatile 3-in-1 eating utensil. There’s a shallow spoon as one end and a fork with a serrated edge (that doubles as a knife) at the other. It’s a utensil style that’s become increasingly popular among campers because it’s one more way to lighten your load (especially for backpackers). Even better, these sporks are available in a convenient 4-pack.
Material: Bio-based plastic
Weight: 11 grams (each)
- Affordable. It’s a budget-friendly alternative to disposable cutlery.
- Sustainably made. It’s made from bioplastic.
- BPA-free. No need to worry about harmful chemicals.
- Can’t cut well. The serrated edge isn’t as sharp (or useful) as a metal knife.
- A little flimsy. Not as durable as metal or other materials.
- 3-IN-1 SPORK REUSABLE PLASTIC UTENSILS in a 4-Pack are a perfect travel spoon fork knife set combo designed so the spork’s fork and spoon have a serrated edge. Ideal picnic and camping accessories for travel trailer and hiking or car camping essentials.
- 100% BPA-FREE 15% BIO-BASED PLASTIC ergonomic handles make these grip-friendly sporks eco-friendly, lightweight, easy-to-clean, safe for use with non-stick cookware, and microwave and dishwasher safe. Take along this travel safe utensil cutlery set.
- SAY GOOD-BYE TO DISPOSABLES our camping utensil set spork is the only “on-the-go cutlery” you will ever need for eating on outdoor wilderness adventures. Starve the landfills with our responsibly made utensils. 4 sporks included. Color: Nature
- DURABLE AND VERSATILE pack it in your backpack, handbag, or stow it in your car or boat. Enjoy each moment, as this spork makes a sweet ice cream spoon set on a sunny day, a lunch utensils set for work, or a ramen noodle fork spoon combo for dinner.
- LIGHT MY FIRE SWEDISH SPORKS and premium outdoor gear and accessories are made at our factory in Sweden for an on-the-go sustainable lifestyle. Inspired by nature, fire alchemy fuels our true passion to help people reconnect with our precious planet.
If you like the 3-in-1 design of camping sporks but want something more durable, consider Light My Fire’s titanium version. It comes with a higher price tag but it’s made from nontoxic metal that won’t break and will last for years of camping trips. (It’s also lightweight, just 8 grams heavier than the plastic version.)
Weight: 19 grams
- Durable. Sturdy material and construction means it won’t snap under pressure.
- Cuts well. Its serrated edge is more effective at cutting than the plastic version.
- No metallic aftertaste. It won’t leave a metallic taste in your mouth.
- Cost. It’s quite a bit more expensive than the brand’s plastic camping spork.
- Right-handed only. There isn’t a left-handed version.
- 3-IN-1 UNBREAKABLE TITANIUM SPORK is a durable travel spoon fork knife set serrated edge combo. Titanium sporks are ideal for Miss City Life on the go or as reusable picnic and camping accessories for travel trailer, hiking or car camping essentials.
- 100% BPA-FREE ECO-FRIENDLY titanium sporks have non-toxic polished surfaces and no metallic taste. Grade 2 titanium is tough, heat-resistant, dishwasher safe. Easy to clean, just rinse in water. Take this smart travel utensil cutlery set everywhere.
- GOOD-BYE DISPOSABLES our camping spoon fork knife combo is the only outdoor “on-the-go cutlery” eating utensil you will ever need for urban or wild adventures. Starve the landfills with our responsibly made reusable camping utensil set spork. 1 spork.
- 100% TITANIUM LIGHTWEIGHT SPORK lasts forever and weighs only 19 grams, so keep it handy for fun spontaneous moments, use it as a sweet ice cream spoon set on a sunny day, a lunch utensils set for work, or a ramen noodle fork spoon combo for dinner.
- LIGHT MY FIRE SWEDISH SPORKS and premium outdoor gear and accessories are made in Sweden and are great gifts for on-the-go sustainable lifestyles. Inspired by nature, fire alchemy fuels our true passion to help people reconnect with our precious planet.
California-based TOAKS specializes in making high-performance gear from titanium, one of the most popular materials for camping utensils. Their cutlery set includes a spoon, fork, and serrated butter knife all on a handy metal carabiner. The utensils have the traditional high-polished look and feel of silverware but are designed for outdoor use.
Weight: 45 grams (set including carabiner)
- Stylish. They look and feel similar to silverware.
- Quality. They’re made from high-quality materials and have a sleek design.
- Higher price. It’s an investment.
- Weight. The set weighs more than all-in-one utensils.
- Material: Titanium (no coating)
- Total Weight: 1.7 oz (49g)
- Dimensions: Spoon: 6 5/8" (168mm) (L) Fork: 6 5/8" (168mm) (L) Knife: 7 1/8" (182mm) (L)
- Origin: Designed by TOAKS in California Manufactured in China
- Notes: 1. Polished eating area gives smooth touch while matte finished handles provide solid holding. 2. All three pieces are compatible with TOAKS TITONS Connector which is available on TOAKS Outdoor website. 3. The three utensils are held together with a removable aluminum carabiner.
Sometimes the simplest option is the best. The Uno from Humangear is a sleek, affordable utensil that has a fork at one end (long enough to twirl spaghetti) and a spoon at the other (deep enough to scoop soup). Although it doesn’t come with a built-in serrated edge, a knife isn’t always necessary anyway. Plus, not having a serrated edge makes it safer for kids to use.
Material: BPA-free plastic
Weight: 15 grams
- Ergonomic shape. It’s easy to hold and use.
- Affordable. It’s available at a budget-friendly price.
- Easy to clean. It’s stain-resistant and cleans up with soap and water.
- Can’t cut well. It doesn’t have a serrated edge or knife component.
- Shorter length. At just over 6 inches long, it’d be hard to use it for a cooking utensil in addition to eating.
- SMARTER EATING: humangear's GoBites Uno is the utensil set you didn't know you needed. Built with smarter ends, including a deep spoon on one end and a fork on the other you can say goodbye to disposable plastic utensils (spoons, forks, and knives) and update your cutlery set
- MULTIPURPOSE: The perfect addition to your camping supplies and items , survival gear, backpacking gear, travel silverware, cookware, flatware, mess kit, camp kitchen, outdoor or rv, and other essentials to tailgating, campfire, picnic set, office, work, school, dorm, lunch box and more
- LIGHTWEIGHT COMFORTABLE GRIP: The unique U-shaped head orientation makes Uno much more comfortable to hold compared to other competitive combination tools on the market, that jab or poke you. The spoon head is deep enough for liquids (soup, broth, tea, coffee) while the fork tines can stab and cut (spaghetti and soft-food splitting)
- PORTABLE + REUSABLE: Made from a special, extremely durable nylon - up to 20x stiffer than the leading competitor. GoBites Uno 3pk is great for family, adults, teens, and kids. Dishwasher safe (top rack only), FDA food safe, 100% BPA, PC, and phthalate free
- Measures: 6.5" x 1.6" (165 x 40mm), with ~1.5 teaspoons (8.1mL) capacity. Also available in a Titanium option (Ti-Uno) for a more rugged look. GoBites Uno comes in a variety of colors so you are sure to find your favorite or match your other cups, bowls, pans, dish or cook sets. Be sure to check out the rest of humangear's product line for complimentary items
Bamboo is another popular material for reusable camping utensils. It’s lightweight, environmentally friendly, and is naturally free from chemicals like BPA and phthalates. To-Go Ware’s bamboo utensil set comes in a convenient carrying case and includes the standard spoon, fork, and knife plus a pair of chopsticks.
Weight: 45 grams (set and carrying case)
- Environmentally friendly. Bamboo is a sustainable material.
- Heat and stain resistant. The utensils can be used for cooking.
- Size. These utensils are larger and heavier than other utensil options.
- No ability to cut. There isn’t a serrated or cutting edge on the knife.
- CONVENIENT DESIGN: The To Go Ware bamboo utensil set includes a knife, fork, spoon, and chopstix for any meal, any time; Keep a set of bamboo utensils in your bag, glove compartment, lunch box or desk
- ECO FRIENDLY MISSION: Reusable bamboo travel utensils replace single use plastic utensils for the environmentally conscious; Utensil case made entirely from recycled plastic bottles; To Go Ware practices ethical manufacturing and zero waste operations
- WASHABLE: To Go Ware products are heat and stain resistant, hand-finished with a food-safe coating, and dishwasher safe; To Go Ware utensil sets are a long-lasting alternative to disposable silverware
- EARTH DAY: Be a part of the change and align yourself with Mother Earth by using To Go Ware reusable travel utensils with a case made entirely from recycled bottles; Help to protect the environment with more eco friendly choices; Earth Day is a great time to start fighting for a green future
- DURABLE: To Go Ware bamboo utensil cases are made with strong, lightweight material with a secure hook and loop closure; Use the carabiner clip so you never forget your utensil set when you're on the move
Though not as crucial as eating utensils, most campers find it helpful to bring along a few basic cooking utensils.Jetboil Jetset Stowable Utensil Set
This combo eating/cooking utensil set from Jetboil is designed with backpackers in mind. The spoon, fork, and spatula in the set each have telescoping handles which means they can collapse down to smaller sizes when not in use. The utensils are made from high-temperature plastic so they be used for both eating and cooking hot food on a cook stove.
Weight: 45 grams (set)
- Collapsible design. These utensils are easy to pack and store.
- Versatility. These can be used for both eating and cooking.
- Limited options. This set doesn’t include some utensils that car campers or RVers might want.
- Jetboil's high-temperature nylon designs can withstand the heat, making them perfect for cooking and stirring food on your Jetboil cook stove.
- Reach every last bit of food at the bottom of your cup with the telescoping handles.
- Save pack space with the collapsible design, which stores compactly in or on Jetboil cooking vessels.
- The set includes a spoon, fork, and spatula. Measures 5.2 inches when packed and weighs 1.3 ounces. One-year limited warranty.
- Sport type: Camping & Hiking
This compact camping utensils set from GSI Outdoors includes a surprising number of items—24 in all. With useful items like a utility knife, eating utensils, and cutting board, it’s comprehensive enough for car campers and RVers, yet compact and lightweight enough to take on the trail. (There’s even a waterproof container to store spices.) Everything in the set packs into a zippered case.
Material: BPA-free plastic
Weight: 1.7 lbs
- Versatility. The set includes utensils for both cooking and eating.
- Weight. Each individual item is designed to be lightweight.
- Excess items. The set includes items that some campers might find unnecessary (and take up extra space and weight).
- 24-piece camp dining set feeds a family of four—enjoy food, fun and adventure with four sets of cutlery, preparation and cooking utensils, condiment containers and cleaning gear
- Chef tools to whip up on-the-go homestyle meal—flip and stir with rotating spatula and spoon; grate cheese and vegetables with lightweight grater; skin wild-caught fare with utility knife
- Add flavor to food with waterproof salt and pepper shaker; Transport savory oils and sauces in soft-sided condiment containers with easy-to-use flip-top squeeze lids
- Clean dishes after eating with scrubber and microfiber dish cloth; Store all 24 pieces in the compact nylon ballistic case—portable and keeps everything organized
- Feeding your love of the great outdoors since 1985; Product design rooted in innovation, durability, efficiency, and environmental responsibility