If you’re an avid camper, chances are you already know a thing or two about being prepared. After all, the camping life involves a lot of careful planning and packing. But you probably also know that when you’re in the outdoors, there are things you simply don’t plan: poison ivy, getting lost, dangerous storms, injury. That’s why it’s helpful to keep a well-stocked camping emergency kit with your other camping gear.
There are a lot of ready-made kits available. (We share some of our top picks below.) But it’s also easy enough to assemble a custom kit. (An advantage of the the DIY route is that you don’t end up with a lot of excess supplies you won’t ultimately use.)
DIY Camping Emergency Kit
If you create your own camping emergency kit, here are some basic items you’ll want to include:
Most campgrounds have drinking water, but if you prefer to be extra-prepared (or if you’re headed to the backcountry), you can pack a water purifier in your kit. Try the LifeStraw or water purification tablets. (This is probably a good time to mention that it’s never a good idea to drink water straight from a river or lake. Even water that looks clean can make you sick.) In addition to a water purifier, you can also include a cup to drink from.
Nonperishable items with a long shelf-life are best such as freeze-dried backpacking meals and energy bars. Make sure you have enough emergency food for the number of people who will be on your camping trip.
An inexpensive headlamp can give you hands-free light in a pinch.
Though there are a lot of fire-starter kits and options, it’s best to go with whatever method you actually know how to use. Strike-anywhere matches in a waterproof case are a good option.
For shelter-building and a host of other uses, it’s important to include some type of rope. A paracord bracelet works well because it won’t take up a lot of space.
Those shiny Mylar emergency blankets don’t look like much but you’ll be surprised at what they can do. Along with keeping you warm, they can also be used as a shelter or as insulation. Check out this post for even more uses.
A camping knife would do but why not upgrade to a multi-tool?
First Aid Supplies
You can buy a ready-to-go first-aid kit, or assemble your own.
Ready-Made Camping Emergency Kits
Don’t have the time or desire to create your own camping emergency kit? There are plenty of kits on the market with everything you need.
- TRSCIND 13-in-1 survival tool kit - It's a necessity for camping, hiking, fishing, as well as various survival and emergency situations. This survival kit for any outdoor adventurers, military personnel, campers, hikers, hunters, boy scouts
- New upgrade combo: 13-in-1 survival kit. The whole package includes: Compass, 11-in 1 Multi-tool, Wire Saw, Water Bottle Clip, Emergency Blanket, Flint Stone, Survival Knife, Flashlight, Tactical Pen, Whistle, Mini Light and a Black Waterproof Box
- Lightweight and convenient - Portable tool case weight only 1.11 pounds and has a dimension of 6.6 x 4.3 x 1.9 inch, with foam interior and both water and shock proof. An easy carrying kit is ideal to fit inside any cars, hiking backpack or camping gear
- Multi-purpose - The Emergency Blanket can use as a floor mat, shelter from sun and rain, beacon transport as well as other various functions. The Whistle is made of high quality aluminum alloy and produces up to 120 db of volume
- Safety and Practical-Tactical Pen is capable of breaking glass in an emergency, can be used for self protection and writing. Survival Knife made with steel blade which is anti-rust. Compass features a class luminousness with a 360 degree rotating bezel
- Powerful combo set: spring-action needle nose pliers, spring-action regular pliers, spring-action wire cutters, wire stripper, saw blade, can opener, bottle opener, wood/metal file, Phillips screwdriver, medium slotted screwdriver
- Survival and Emergency prep are redness be prepared during unexpected major emergencies, natural weather disasters, and survival situations that require medical-grade supplies for immediate treatment
- Unique and upgraded items - based on customers' Feedback. Bigger, stronger metal scissors and knife. Inside is everything you need to help you survive: fire starter, knife, compass, whistle, saw, Multipurpose flash light pliers
- Wire saws: with Super sharp blades and smooth features do not hurt the hand, is the fastest existing pocket Wire saw. Rare earth alloy Ignition rods: directing fire can not ignite, scooped into the water can be wiped away immediately make fire.
- Small size and easy to carry, this extremely useful kit can be placed in a backpack, car, drawers, etc. It's necessary when camping, hiking, adventures, survival and in emergency situations
- ✔ Advanced Survival Gear – This emergency kit comes with everything you need to thrive in the rugged outdoors. You can build a shelter, hunt for food , start a fire, travel in the day or night, and most importantly, drink safe and clean water.
- ✔ Water Filtration System – Each survival kit comes with a long lasting portable water filter straw to eliminate bacteria and purify drinking water while on the go.
- ✔ Multi-purpose Tool Set – The heavy-duty storage box contains durable outdoor accessories, including a fire starter, LED flashlight, tactical pen, sharp knife, wire saw, multi-tool card, whistle , and emergency blanket.
- ✔ Waterproof Dry Bag - Perfect for storing clothes, electronics, wallets and personal items. This unique bladder floats in water while keeping items dry and protected.
- ✔ Be Prepared – Mid Mab survival kit and camping gear ensures you’ll be ready for anything , be it a recreational trip , an emergency backup or surviving the apocalypse!
- ✅【Exclusive 250 PCS First Aid Survival Kit Contained a 1000D Mil-Spec Nylon Molle EMT Pouch】Uniquely customized by U.S military veterans, field tested by EX- Army Sergeant, designed to get you well-prepared in an emergency situation. The kit combines 241 PCS First Aid Supply with 9 powerful Survival Gear into a Must-Have EDC emergency kit.
- ✅【Comprehensive First Aid Treatment Exceeds OSHA Guidelines For Single Family】The kit contains more than enough supply to treat a single family or a group of friends under emergency circumstances. Perfect for taking care of any medical or emergency needs during outdoor wilderness adventures such as camping, boy scouts, hiking, hunting and mountain biking, etc.
- ✅【Molle Compatible, 1000 D Mil-Spec Nylon, Portable, and Water-Resistant】The Mil-Spec EMT bag was made from 1000D reinforced nylon, it offers three large compartments and plenty of rooms to add your own gear. The overall dimension of the kit is 8’’ x 6.5’’ x 5’’ and weight only 1.9 lbs. The molle compatible straps on the back allow the user to attach it to other bags or your belt, which made it a perfect companion for any outdoor activities.
- ✅【Top Quality Survival Gears Designed to Last】Includes the most popular survival necessities: 3-mode tactical flashlight, multi-function paracord bracelet (compass, whistle), flint stone, knife, saber card, two glow sticks and rain poncho.
- ✅ 【Veteran Owned Company 5 – Star Customer Support】: Everlit is committed to providing the most comprehensive customer service. We proudly offer the exclusive 60-days hassle-free return over all products. We stand behind the quality of our inventory, all original Everlit products are covered under 1-year satisfaction warranty.