If you’re an avid camper, chances are you already know a thing or two about being prepared. After all, the camping life involves a lot of careful planning and packing. But you probably also know that when you’re in the outdoors, there are things you simply don’t plan: poison ivy, getting lost, dangerous storms, injury. That’s why it’s helpful to keep a well-stocked camping emergency kit with your other camping gear.
There are a lot of ready-made kits available. (We share some of our top picks below.) But it’s also easy enough to assemble a custom kit. (An advantage of the the DIY route is that you don’t end up with a lot of excess supplies you won’t ultimately use.)
DIY Camping Emergency Kit
If you create your own camping emergency kit, here are some basic items you’ll want to include:
Keep your kit in a waterproof bag or container. A small dry bag or a watertight plastic box works well.
Most campgrounds have drinking water, but if you prefer to be extra-prepared (or if you’re headed to the backcountry), you can pack a water purifier in your kit. Try the LifeStraw or water purification tablets. (This is probably a good time to mention that it’s never a good idea to drink water straight from a river or lake. Even water that looks clean can make you sick.) In addition to a water purifier, you can also include a cup to drink from.
Nonperishable items with a long shelf-life are best such as freeze-dried backpacking meals and energy bars. Make sure you have enough emergency food for the number of people who will be on your camping trip.
An inexpensive headlamp can give you hands-free light in a pinch.
Though there are a lot of fire-starter kits and options, it’s best to go with whatever method you actually know how to use. Strike-anywhere matches in a waterproof case are a good option.
For shelter-building and a host of other uses, it’s important to include some type of rope. A paracord bracelet works well because it won’t take up a lot of space.
Those shiny Mylar emergency blankets don’t look like much but you’ll be surprised at what they can do. Along with keeping you warm, they can also be used as a shelter or as insulation. Check out this post for even more uses.
A camping knife would do but why not upgrade to a multi-tool?
First Aid Supplies
You can buy a ready-to-go first-aid kit, or assemble your own.
Ready-Made Camping Emergency Kits
Don’t have the time or desire to create your own camping emergency kit? There are plenty of kits on the market with everything you need.
Master SOS Survival Kit
Trscind Survival Kit
- 13 in 1 Emergency Survival Kit Contains: Our professional survival kits includes: compass, wire saw, water bottle clip, emergency blanket, flint stone, survival tool, flashlight, whistle, mini light and a black waterproof box.
- High-quality emergency equipment set: Tactical flashlight, tactical pen, compass, etc., they are made of high-quality & long lasting materials, providing excellent safety and durability. high quality tools from us allowing you to enjoy the wild adventure，adventure time of camping & mountain climbing.
- Widely applicable: It's a necessity for camping, hiking, fishing, as well as various survival and emergency situations. this survival kit for any outdoor adventurers, campers, hikers, hunters, boy scouts.
- Lightweight and convenient: Portable tool case weight only 1.11 pounds and has a dimension of 6.6 x 4.3 x 1.9 inch, with foam interior and both water and shock proof. An easy carrying kit is ideal to fit inside any cars, hiking backpack or camping gear.
- Great gift ideas: Funny gift for father day / christmas / birthday valentine's day gifts idea for men / him / husband / boyfriend / who have everything & who you care about. trscind survival kit is a nice gift for military personnel, outdoor adventurers, hikers, campers, hunters teen boy scouts or even constant travelers.
Aootek Upgraded Survival Kit
- Powerful Combo set: Spring-action Needle nose Pliers, Spring-action Regular Pliers, Spring-action Wire Cutters ,Wire Stripper, Saw Blade, Can Opener, Bottle Opener, Wood/Metal File, Phillips Screwdriver, Medium Slotted Screwdriver, Key Buckle.
- Survival and Emergency prep areredness be prepared during unexpected major emergencies, natural weather disasters, and survival situations that require medical-grade supplies for immediate treatment, relief, and prevention of injuries and infections first aid kit
- Unique And Upgraded items - based on customers' feedback.Bigger, stronger metal scissors. inside is everything you need to help you survive: fire starter, compass, whistle, saw, multipurpose flash light pliers,scissrs,flashlight,fishing lines,fishing weights,fishing
- Wire saws: with super sharp blades and smooth features do not hurt the hand, is the fastest existing pocket wire saw. Rare earth alloy Ignition rods: directing fire can not ignite, scooped into the water can be wiped away immediately make fire. It can also be make fire under wet, cold, rain, snow weather and low pressure. Compass: compact and flexible high sensitivity
- Small size and easy to carry, this extremely useful kit can be placed in a backpack, car, drawers, etc. It's necessary when camping, hiking, adventures, survival and in emergency situations
Everlit Survival Kit
- ✅【250 PCS First Aid Survival Kit, Meaningful and Cool Gifts Ideas for Families and Outdoorsman】Designed by army veterans and survivalists, the most compact and robust survival first aid kit contains essential first aid supplies and survival tools required for emergencies. Weighs only 2 Lbs, the kit is a must-have for your bug-out bag.
- ✅【Be Prepared for the Unexpected, Complete Comprehensive First Aid Essentials Exceeds OSHA Guidelines】The product includes more than enough med supplies to treat a single family under emergency circumstances. Perfect for taking care of any medical or emergency needs during outdoor wilderness adventures such as camping, backpacking, boy scouts, hiking, hunting and mountain biking.
- ✅【Molle EMT Pouch, Durable, Portable, and Water-Resistant】The military grade bag was made from 1000D water-resistant nylon, it offers three large compartments and many straps to get your supplies organized. The overall dimension of the kit is 8’’ x 6.5’’ x 5’’. The kit can be attached to any molle system: backpack, vest, vehicle molle panel.
- ✅【Top Quality Survival Gears Safeguard Your Next Adventure】Stuffed with the most essential survival gadgets: mylar space blanket, 3-mode tactical flashlight, multi-function paracord bracelet (compass, whistle), flintstone, knife, saber card, two 12 hour glow sticks and emergency rain poncho.
- ✅【All Weather, All Age, Multi-Purpose Survival Kit】From outdoor actions to general home and office needs, for the outdoorsman, preppers to boy scouts. With its comprehensive contents and coverage, you will be prepared anywhere you go.