If you’re tired of all the set-up that camping requires, it might be time to pitch the tent. (Pun intended.) In the past few years, people have been doing just that—forgoing complicated camping tents for hammocks. (In fact, since 2014, hammock sales have more than doubled.) Interested in learning how to hammock camp? We’ve got you covered with a quick how-to and the gear you’ll need.
Hammock camping is a new fad with a long history. According to historians, hammocks were first used more than 1,000 years ago by the Mayans and later spread to other parts of central America and the Caribbean. These early hammocks—made from woven plant materials—offered natural ventilation and provided people with a safe sleeping spot away from roaming insects and animals.
By the 16th century, hammocks became the standard bed for sailors—a practice that continued through World War II. By this time, the design had significantly changed and unlike early iterations, these shipboard hammocks—made from thick, damp canvas—were notoriously uncomfortable. The design changed little throughout the 20th century. In recent years, however, technology caught up to the humble hammock and turned it into the durable, portable, easy-to-use product we know today. (And it quickly became a hit with modern-day campers.)
- 1 How To Hammock Camp
- 2 Hammock Camping Accessories
- 2.1 For Bugs
- 2.2 Chill Gorilla Hammock Mosquito Net
- 2.3 Legit Camping Hammock Bug Net
- 2.4 PYS Outdoor Hammock Mosquito Net
- 2.5 For Wet Weather
- 2.6 ENO DryFly Rain Tarp
- 2.7 Chill Gorilla Hammock Rain Fly
- 2.8 Wise Owl Outfitters Hammock Rain Fly
- 2.9 For Cool Weather
- 2.10 OneTigris Hammock Underquilt
- 2.11 Uboway Hammock Underquilt
- 2.12 ENO Hammock Underquilt
- 3 Share this:
- 4 Related
How To Hammock Camp
Hammock camping is pretty straightforward but there are few things to keep in mind.
- Choose the right hammock for you and learn how to set it up properly without damaging trees. Check out our hammock reviews post and our how-to for hammock hanging.
- Make sure the place you’re camping allows hammocks. Some cities and parks have started to prohibit hammock use because of people not using them properly and damaging trees and plant life.
- Bring proper insulation. Hammocks are naturally cooler than tents since air is allowed to circulate around you. Sometimes, even in summer, this can make you too cold. Be sure to dress in layers and consider using a hammock underquilt. (See below for our recommendations.)
- Pack a bug net. To prevent yourself from becoming a feast for mosquitoes, make sure you have a bug net you can hang around your hammock. (If you’re camping in a drier climate with less mosquitoes, this might not be necessary.)
- Have a rain fly ready. Unless you plan to head to the car when it rains, you’ll also want a rain fly.
Here are a few more tips on how to sleep comfortably in a hammock:
- Readjust the hammock. If a hammock is uncomfortable, sometimes it’s simply too tight. Check your hammock straps and create some slack. (A hammock should hang about 18 inches off the ground with no one in it.)
- Use a pillow. A little neck support goes a long way.
- Lie diagonally. Start by laying in the middle of the hammock. Then shift your feet and legs about 10-12 inches to the right. Next, shift your head and upper body 10-12 inches to the left. Now you should be laying in a flatter (and more comfy) position.
Hammock Camping Accessories
If you’re looking for additional gear that will turn your hammock into the perfect tent-substitute, check out the following accessories.
- NO BUGS GUARANTEE! 360° protection with our breathable ultralight see through mesh netting provides ventilation & even keeps out a noseeum. Enjoy the outdoors bite free! Hammock accessories.
- COMFORTABLE DIAGONAL LAY. You won't get that in a hammock with mosquito net (attached). Our hammock bug net provides SAFE SPACE around your hammock or double hammock giving you more protection!
- FITS ALL CAMPING HAMMOCKS. Any bigger & you're just packing extra weight! Smooth double zippers make getting in/out a breeze. FAST & EASY SETUP.
- TRUST OVER 243 HAMMOCK BUG NET REVIEWS! Whether hiking, camping, backpacking, or lounging around at home our hammock bug net will keep you comfortable and bite free!
- CHILL GORILLA & OUR GUARANTEE CRUSHES THE COMPETITION. Compare to Wise Owl, ENO, Legit, Nature's Hangout, PYS, Wecamture, Winner, Honest, NHO, etc. SIMPLY THE BEST VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY!
- ✅Sloth Approved: This hammock mosquito net is a full 11ft long and offers complete 360-degree protection- whether you’re camping alone in your hammock or with a fellow sloth Despite the large size, it’s lightweight and easily compresses into a 6.3x4.7in. stuff sack making it one of the top requested camping hammock accessories.
- ✅FAST AND EASY SET UP: Turn your hammock into a tent in seconds. Just hang the included ridge line and use the speed clips to quickly attach the hammock net. Open the vertical zipper, climb into the spacious interior, and it’s time to chill, bug free!
- ✅KEEP OUT NO-SEE-UMS: No-see-ums, also known as biting gnats or sandflies, are tiny flying, biting insects that are almost invisible to the naked eye. At night, You won’t see ‘um, and you certainly won’t feel ‘um, because this super fine bug net for hammocks will completely protect you from ‘um.
- ✅FITS ALL CAMPING HAMMOCKS: No matter which type of portable hammock you have, whether it’s our own Legit Camping Hammock or some other not so Legit brand like ENO Doublenest or Singlenest, Bear Butt, Honest Outfitters, Winner Outfitters, you’ll be protected by this hammock mosquito net. Mosquitos and other insects don’t stand a chance!
- ✅DON’T BELIEVE US? After you click “Add to Cart” on this “Legit Bug Net,” search “Legit Hammock” on Amazon and read the reviews. You will see we pride ourselves on the quality of our camping gear and our customer service. If you don’t like this backpacking hammock net, then simply send it back to us and we’ll be happy to give you a full refund. 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
- LARGEST HAMMOCK BUG NET ON THE MARKET: PYS outdoor offer the LARGEST hammock bug net on the market, fits ANY CAMPING HAMMOCKS. The size is 12'x 4.4', let you can move around in your sleep without feeling RESTRICTED.
- SECURITY FROM BUGS - The hammock mosquito net keeps out all the bugs and mosquitoes! Sleep like a log and NO MORE kisses of death by bugs. The bug net uses superfine netting providing 360-degree coverage and protection. And it is breathable and provides ventilation.
- TWO EASY HANGING WAY - The vertical zipper design allows easy access. It comes with a 12' hammock mosquito net and 1 ridgeline. Easy for hang on the tree straps with hooks or tie the tree with the ridgelines.
- LIGHTWEIGHT&PORTABLE - The outdoor bug net is very easy to set up within 5 minutes even for beginners! And backpacker approved, weighs only 21.5 ounces, the bug net easily fits into its stuff sack. And comes with everything you need.
- 100% SATISFACTION SERVICE - If you don't like your camping bug net, or whatever, please directly via Amazon to contact us, we will take care of you within 24 hours! Enjoy a worry free shopping experience for PYS Outdoor store!
For Wet Weather
- RAIN, RAIN, GO AWAY: The DryFly Rain Tarp is made of polyurethane-treated ripstop nylon and features the best water-shedding capabilities. Stay dry and cozy all night long.
- SAFE FROM ANY STORM: Features a unique shape and a spacious interior with all the headroom you could ask for, providing an allover coverage area to keep you and your gear dry.
- ADVENTURE READY: Weighing only 22 ounces, the DryFly has a built-in stuff sack, making it super easy to take on trips or store when not in use.
- KEEP YOUR GEAR DRY: The DryFly Rain Tarp is versatile and durable, making it the perfect shelter for your tarp, to protect your gear, clothes, backcountry kitchen, or your furry friend.
- PLEASE NOTE: ENO attempts to reduce potential waste by using every bit of fabric available in production, so the color of the stuff sack and stitching might vary from what is pictured. (Tarps do not come with stakes. Stakes are sold separately.)
- WATERPROOF CAMPING HAMMOCK TARP & TENT COVER with 2 centerlines, 9 tie downs & square design gives you more coverage & setup options. Military soldiers love our Rain Fly / Tent Tarp. SURVIVAL GEAR
- TRUST OVER 500 REVIEWS! Whether you are hiking, camping, backpacking, or on a motorcycle our lightweight rainfly will protect you from rain, wind, bad weather & provide shade from the hot sun!
- EASY TO SETUP. Use as ultralight rain tarp, emergency shelter, tent footprint or camping canopy. Easily covers double hammocks w bug net & underquilt, tents, & shelters. REVIEWS SHOW EVEN MORE USES!
- CHILL GORILLA CRUSHES THE COMPETITION. Compare to Hennessy, dd tarp, Gold Armour, Tera Hiker, Redcamp, ENO, Kelty, Bushcraft, Outad, Aqua Quest, Wise Owl, Free Soldier etc. BEST VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY!
- HASSLE FREE WARRANTY: Please register on our website or contact our customer service team. We answer ANY question in less than 24 hours. Copy-paste this link into your browser: http://amzn.to/2f1wPOB
- THE HIGH QUALITY & DURABLE RAIN TARP YOU NEED! - The WiseFly rainfly will keep you dry and comfortable with unparalleled weather protection and water shedding capability. This is serious gear that was thoughtfully designed to be practical, reliable, durable and sets up in minutes.
- AN OUTDOOR ESSENTIAL! - Our WiseFly Rain Tarps are ideal for sunshade, hiking, camping, backpacking, boating, sporting events, festivals and travel. There are so many uses!
- TWO GREAT OPTIONS! - Our premium rain fly is big giving you all the coverage you need. It’s 11 ft by 9 ft, packs down to just 5” x 9” and weighs a mere 26 oz, making it easy to take with you, put in your backpack, etc. The Rain Tarp LITE, similarly, is 11 ft by 9 ft, packs down to a tiny 4” x 8.5” and weighs even less at 18.9 oz! Our rain fly’s easily cover a SinlgleOwl, DoubleOwl, Singlenest, Doublenest or any other similar hammock out there.
- THE BEST VALUE IN ONE COMPLETE PACKAGE! - The premium version comes with 4 high quality aluminum tent stakes, six guy lines that are 10 feet each and already attached. Our Rain Tarp LITE comes with 2 high quality aluminum tent stakes with 4 tie lines, also 10 feet each. Carry bag included as well.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE! - If for any reason you do not love your rain fly let us know and we will take care of you no questions asked. We have a reputation for excellent customer service that is USA Based!
For Cool Weather
- Premium Materials: SEE Polyester Filling, 20D Ripstop Nylon Shell with a DWR coating and 300T Polyester Pongee Lining
- 3 Seasons Under Quilt: Comfortable temperature range: 40°F ~ 68°F (5°C ~ 20°C), great way to extend the hammock camping season
- Keeping You Warm: Designed to fit snugly to all standard sized hammocks, keeping you warm and toasty in chilly temperatures, no Cold Butt Syndrome (CBS) anymore
- Quick Set Up: Short bungee cord loops for an easy and cozy fix to your hammock, very fast and easy to set up and take down
- Compressible: Includes a compression stuff sack for easy storage | 28oz/ 800g | 9.2ft *4ft
- ★MATERIALS - 320D Ripstop Nylon makes an extremely high quality and compact underquilt. Comfortable temperature range: 32°F to 59°F (0°C to 15°C).
- ★KEEP YOU WARM - This Hammock Underquilt designs to fit snugly to the outside of your hammock, which makes you feel warm and toasty in the cool weather.
- ★DOUBLE USAGE - UBOWAY hammock under quilt can also be used as blankets that give you enough warmth.
- ★UNIVERSAL & EASY TO SET - UBOWAY hammock quilt is perfect cut and fit for most typical hammocks. And it is also easy to set or take down.
- ★EAST TO CARRY & LIGHT - Comes with a carrying bag, our sleeping bag weighs only 0.59 kg so you can take it for outdoor activities with ease.
- KEEP WARM IN WINTER: With polyester insulation and a hammock specific cut, our UnderQuilt surrounds your hammock sides and bottom, protecting you from sudden cold snaps
- FAST, EASY SETUP: Adjustable shock cords allow you to set up quickly for more time nestled in toasty goodness; Works perfectly with our DoubleNest or SingleNest hammock
- WARM, DRY PROTECTION: 40D Ripstop Nylon shell and 30D Nylon Taffeta lining with water repellent finishes; Add the Spark TopQuilt for a 40-50 degree temperature rating
- WINTER-READY: Protection at a lightweight 25 ounces that conveniently folds down into a 6.5" by 12" bag and extends to an impressive 8' by 4' (perfect for campers up to 6'6")
- COMPLETE YOUR CAMPING EXPERIENCE: With our tree-friendly Atlas Suspension System, a SingleNest or DoubleNest hammock, and a TopQuilt for comfortable camping all year long