Fruit cobblers and pies are a classic summertime dessert. But during the height of berry season, nothing beats the sweet and sour tang of a Dutch oven blueberry cobbler. Unlike a made-from-scratch pie (that requires some dough know-how and a lot of patience), a cobbler is fast, easy, and leaves plenty of room for error.
Cobblers are among the oldest American desserts, supposedly invented by early Colonists who cooked biscuits on top of stewed fruit. The general idea hasn’t changed much since then. Cobblers are still made with a layer of cooked fruit and a topping that resembles biscuits or scones. They’re part of an entire family of stewed fruit desserts that—depending on your region—includes crisps, pandowdies, buckles, and slumps. (Yes, believe it or not, those are all actual words.) For a more comprehensive dessert history lesson, head here.
Because of their simplicity, cobbler is the perfect dessert to make for a group in the great outdoors. You can even cook it pioneer-style in a big cast-iron pot. The recipe below uses a 10-inch cast-iron Dutch oven. (Scroll to the end of the post for our recommendations.) In addition to the Dutch oven, you’ll also need a blazing fire that’s burned down to its coals. (Fireproof oven mitt optional but encouraged.)
Dutch Oven Blueberry Cobbler
- 2 1/4 cup baking mix (such as Bisquick)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Use the butter to grease the inside of the Dutch oven. This is also a good time to make sure you’ve got a fire going and it’s burning down to the coals.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the baking mix and milk until combined.
- Pour the sugar, flour, and lemon zest into the Dutch oven and stir together. Add the blueberries and vanilla and stir until they’re completely coated with the sugar mixture.
- Dollop the dough on top of the blueberries, making sure the whole surface is covered. Put the lid on the Dutch oven.
- Right next to your campfire, make a single layer of coals. Place the Dutch oven on top of the coals. Use a tongs to heap 10-12 additional coals on top. Cook for 30-40 minutes until the biscuit topping is cooked through. (You may have to rotate the Dutch oven during cooking to ensure it bakes evenly. (Note: Unlike in an oven, the top of the biscuits won’t brown with this cooking method.)
This Dutch Oven is designed for campfire cooking with legs that keep it raised above the coals.
- 5-Quart Deep Camp Dutch Oven for campfire or fireplace cooking
- Seasoned cast iron ready to use
- Cast iron lid inverts for use as griddle
- 10-inch diameter by 5-inch deep
- Made in U.S.A
When you’re cooking for one or two, this Dutch oven is perfect for making mini desserts.
- Lid Volume & Depth: 1/8 Qt. & 5/8" - Base Volume: 1/2 Qt.
- Pre-seasoned cast iron
- Thermometer channel lets you check temperature without removing lid
- Weight: 3.5 lbs.
- Serves: 1-2
Since campfire cooking with a Dutch oven requires handling hot coals, you might want to make sure you have a pair of tongs on hand.
- ★SIZE MATTERS - BE THE ENVY OF YOUR BUDDIES: Don’t be judged by the length of your handle, there's no need to get too close to that roaring fire as you turn and handle your cuts of meat and veg like a pro! Go long with the Mountain Griller Tong Set 12 & 16" and have complete control of your cooking zone!
- ★NO MORE BURNT ARM HAIR: Cook with the confidence that you will keep your hands away from the heat with the Mountain Grillers extra long metal tongs with a non-slip grip. The quality design allows for easy handling at safe distances from the flame. The varying size gives your tong set the versatility all great grill masters look for in their tools!
- ★SAVE YOUR MONEY AND YOUR MEAT: Buy 2 lengths of tong you’re gonna use, rather than 1 you’re not. It's easy to purchase the first thing that looks ok, but, he or she who buys cheap buys twice! The quality is apparent and the ease of use a BBQ geeks dream!
- ★LOOK THE PART AND KEEP THE TONGS APART: It's important to know what your doing come meal time and the first rule of barbecue is not to mix raw with cooked by turning your chicken and then your steak for example - Protect your reputation when cooking up a storm and throwing awesome backyard parties. You're the King now!
- ★CLEANER TOOLS = MEANER MEAT: Store your tongs and tools on your barbeque by the hanging loops so your grill accessories are always close at hand. Made to fit Weber grills. There's nothing worse than having a messy environment when your cooking, keep organised and rule your cooking zone!
And speaking of handling hot coals (and hot cast-iron), you might want these too.
- Heat-Resistant and Flame Retardant – Offering protection up to 450°F, our oven gloves with quilted cotton lining offer improved comfort while cooking. They will also spare tender forearms from burns that can occur when your outdoor grill experiences a flare-up. They will not catch fire or melt when used near a flame.
- Steam Resistant and Waterproof – Unlike fabric oven mitts, our silicone oven mitts won’t absorb liquids. The silicone part of the glove is entirely waterproof. They also helps protect hands while holding hot plates and dishware, working over the grill or reaching into ovens. You can also use it as a pot holder to grab a hot pot.
- Superior Safety Length – At 13.7” inches long, our oven mitts better protect fingers, hands and wrists from burns. The longer wrist protection keeps you protected from fingertip to past your wrist. This lets you grip pots, pans and cookware safely without slips or spills.
- Textured, Non-Slip Grip – These silicone oven mitts are flexible, breathable and provide an improved control and stability thanks to a non-skid, textured palm. The soft polyester-cotton lining also adds an extra protection & comfort layer.
- Easy to Clean and Machine Washable – Crafted with BPA-free silicone, our silicone gloves are stain resistant and easily cleanable, with just some warm water & a little soap. They won’t tear, thin or fray.