For a truck owner, a bed liner is a necessary feature that will both protect cargo and prevent damage to the truck itself. In the past, the most common option was a drop-in liner but today there are many high-quality spray-on options that offer a more permanent solution. (We’ll share the best spray-on bed liners below.)
In general, drop-in liners are best if you plan to sell your truck in a few years or are looking for an easy install. If you want a protective liner that stands up to water and sand that doesn’t add unnecessary weight and noise to your vehicle, a spray-on liner is the better option.
As with most vehicle upgrades, you have two main routes when it comes to installing a spray-on liner: hire a professional or do it yourself. If you want to do it yourself, you’ve come to the right place. First, here’s where you can find instructions for both the brush-on and spray-on methods. (Note: For best results, follow the specific instructions that come with your kit.)
- Instructions for DIY brush-on bed liner from Family Handyman.
- Instructions for DIY spray-on bed liner from CustomSprayMods.
Now let’s talk supplies. If this is your first time applying a spray-on liner, you’ll need more than just the paint itself. The following kits will provide you with all the supplies you need for your project. Once you have a kit—and a free weekend—you’ll be ready to go!
This kit from U-Pol comes with four 750-ml bottles of base coat, one 1-liter bottle of hardener, and a spray gun. If you’re looking for a different finish or texture, this liner can also be rolled on or applied with a brush. While this particular kit is black, U-Pol also offers the same kit in other colors.
- Easy to use: ADD hardener - SHAKE - SPRAY
- Custom Coat Bedliner Spray Gun features adjustable nozzle and includes Regulator and Gauge
- Abrasion and Stain Resistant
- Protects against rust corrosion salt damp & extreme temperatures
- Waterproof flexible helps deaden sound & vibrations
Custom Coat’s kit includes the same basic supplies as U-Pol’s kit: four bottles of base coat, a hardener, and a spray gun. This kit comes in nine colors: black, white, black metallic, lime green, bright purple, bright silver, dove gray, hot rod red, and safety blue.
- Professional Custom Coat Spray on Truck Bed Liner .875 Gallon Kit. Kit Includes: 4 - 21 fl. oz. Bottles of Black Truck Bed Liner Base - 1 - 28 fl. oz. Bottle Custom Coat Standard Hardener, and 1 Custom Coat Applicator Spray Gun with Regulator. Estimated coverage is 200 square feet @ 10 mils wet film thickness
- Custom Coat Truck Bed Liner is a premium durable long lasting textured protective coating that can tolerate extreme climatic temperature conditions. It is heat, UV resistant and waterproof, so it protects coated surfaces from rust. Use it to help dampen sounds and vibrations.
- Custom Coat was developed to provide a great looking durable yet flexible textured surface and is a heavy duty 2 part urethane coating that is easy to apply. It provides the ultimate surface protection for almost any application. Unlike other protective and bed liner coatings Custom Coat is a flexible material that will resist chipping, while providing impact protection and abrasion resistance. These features and benefits make it perfect for its most popular application as a truck bed liner.
- Custom Coat is a very versatile product that can be used for endless amount of applications. Use it on truck beds, entire vehicle exteriors, chassis, bumpers, commercial vehicles, equipment and trailers. It's also great for home uses as non-skid coating for floors including garage floors, concrete, wood, steps, walkways, wood decks, docks, bath tubs, basement floors, walls, tool boxes and engine compartments.
- Easily achieve professional results with our DIY Custom Coat Kit Packages. Kits are available in various sizes from 1 quart to 2 gallon. Kits are also available with either a Spray Applicator Gun or a Paint Roller Application Set. Custom Coat also offers Urethane Tint Concentrate in over 50 colors, so you can choose either a single color or use different colors to create your own multi-colored custom look or use the colors that will make a great camouflage pattern.
Al’s (a play on the product’s original name “automotive liner system”) offers a batch-kit system, meaning that the kit comes with all the components you need to create a small or large amount depending on your coverage needs. The urethane/acrylic coating can be applied in your choice of textures and colors.
- Three-part blended polyurethane high solids coating
- Can be applied at any thickness in virtually any texture or color
- Pour components B, C and Tint into component A and mix
- UV Stable and Will not Fade; Prevents Rust; Resistant to Gasoline, Oil, Chemicals, and Solvents
- Great for Rocker Panels, Bed Rails, Fender Wells, Full Vehicle Sprays and More
LinerXtreeme’s kits includes three gallons of epoxy/urethane coating along with a spray gun for easy application. Though not as familiar as some of the big-name brands, LinerXtreeme has been in business for more than 20 years.
- Linerxtreeme BLACK Bedliner Kit 3 Gallons of Sprayable Product and FREE Gun
- Professional Quality, Epoxy/Urethane Toughness
- 20 Years in Business, 1000's of repeat customers
- Great UV, Adhesion and Tougness
- Easy to Follow one page instructions
This is the only kit on our list that’s exclusively a brush-on product but you can’t beat its easy application. It comes with one gallon of protective coating that’s pre-mixed and ready to apply. It also includes an application brush and two foam rollers.
- Herculiner, brush on bed liner Kit, includes 1 gallon of ready to use Black protective coating, application brush, 2 rollers for easy & even application
- Adds Extra shine to your product
- Manufactured in China
- Apply to metal, concrete, wood and more
- Tough, textured polyurethane protective coating