There are few things in life as enjoyable and relaxing as laying in a hammock on a warm, sunny day. Maybe there’s a small breeze rocking you gently; maybe you’re enjoying a good book or drifting off the sleep. Whatever you like to do while relaxing on your hammock, they can be an excellent addition to any backyard or to bring along on a camping trip. In this article, we’ll review a bit of the history of the hammock, how they first became popular in modern times (and what keeps them so popular), and then take a look at some of the best camping hammocks you can buy.
History of Hammocks
First off, let’s take an in-depth look at the history of hammocks. It is believed that the hammock was invented by the Mayan civilization over 1,000 years ago. They sure were prolific inventors! Although the hammock was invented by the Mayans, this is not implicit in the root of the word. The word “hammock” is derived from an Arawakan word. Arawakan was the language of the Taino people who lived on Caribbean tribes and in northern South America, and the original word was “hamaka.” This developed into the Spanish word “hamaca” and eventually to the English “hammock.” “Hamaka” meant something like “fish net,” and the reason for this is perfectly clear if you look at a hammock.
Hammock And Europeans
The first European account of hammocks comes from Christopher Columbus, who noted that the Taino tribes used them for sleeping. This was their original purpose: as beds. They weren’t just used in the Caribbean, however, but also in parts of Mesoamerica and South America. It is theorized that hammocks became so popular among the indigenous people because sleeping in them would provide protection from snakes or biting ants that are native to the region. Columbus brought some hammocks back to Europe, and the sleep of western civilization was never the same!
Around a century and a half after Columbus’s first encounter with the hammock, they were adopted for use in naval vessels. This was definitely a smart innovation: the hammocks saved space in the cramped crew quarters of a ship. In addition, since the hammock would swing with the motion of the ship, sailors wouldn’t get thrown out of them with rough waters or a storm.
The Rise Of Hammocks In Modern Times
Later, in the 19th century, the British started using hammocks for their prison systems. Again, this was due to the space-saving qualities of a hammock, while also providing comfort. It wasn’t until the end of the 19th-century that hammocks became popular in North America. In the 20th-century, they were often used for infants to crawl around on. These days, around 500,000 to 2,000,000 hammocks are sold in North America every year, and for good reason! It’s incredibly relaxing to take a well-deserved break in one and just let the time pass by.
Would You Hammock 325 Feet In The Air???
Hammocks In The Modern Era
There are a wide variety of types of hammocks available, including hammocks made specifically for recreational activities like camping and hiking. Many camping hammocks can fit right into your backpack for ease of transportation before you find the perfect spot to set up between two trees, as well as mosquito netting. Ideally, they’re made out of lightweight materials that make them easy to carry around. Some studies have suggested that the gentle rocking motion of a hammock may allow users to fall asleep faster than a typical stationary mattresses. We’ll look at some of the best camping hammocks next.
Top Rated Hammocks
(Viewing on a mobile device? Scroll right for pricing and reviews)
Comprehensive Hammock Guide
- Double Nest Hammock from Eagle Nest Outfitters – First on our list we have the highly-rated Double Hammock from ENO. This hammock is very spacious, as you would expect from a double hammock with room for two occupants. Despite its size, you can easily stuff it into the bag that comes with your purchase making it a very portable hammock. It comes in a variety of colors, as well as a lifetime guarantee! Due to its great features and ease of use, this double hammock is among the top-rated. This is one of the best quality 2 person camping hammocks you can buy.
- Hammock for two: The DoubleNest is versatile, durable, and compact, making it perfect for camping, hiking, or lounging around with a friend.
- Adventure ready: Weighing only 19 ounces, the DoubleNest stuffs easily into attached storage bag. Packed Dimensions: (L x W) 5" x 5"; Unfolded Dimensions: (L x W) 9' 4" x 6' 2".
- Trustworthy material: Falling is not an option, unless it's to sleep. Made from 70D High Tenacity Nylon Taffeta, this breathable, quick drying nylon supports up to 400 pounds. (HAMMOCK STRAPS NOT INCLUDED)
- Master the art of lounging: Includes Aluminum Wiregate Carabiners and nautical grade line with stainless-steel snap links allowing you to secure the DoubleNest to trees, poles, boat masts, or even the wall.
- Please note: ENO attempts to reduce potential waste by using every bit of fabric available in production, so the color and stitching of the your hammock might vary from what is pictured.
- “Ultimate Single and Double Camping Hammock” from Wise Owl Outfitters – If you’re looking for an excellent hammock at a very reasonable price, this hammock is for you. It fits snugly in your backpack for outdoor excursions, making it a very portable hammock, and affordable.
- Comfortable: Whether you're relaxing by the fire, sleeping under the stars, or just lounging around this summer, our camping hammock has everything you need to stay comfy and covered throughout the night for your next camping, hiking, or beach trip -- even just lounging in your backyard & patio on a hammock stand!
- Compact: Lightweight and convenient, our travel hammock weighs only 24oz and folds to the size of an eggplant. Single Hammock measures at 9 feet long by 4.5 feet wide for one person, and the Double Hammock measures 10 feet long by 6.5 feet wide for either two people or anyone who wants some extra space. Throw it in your backpack and go!
- Easy Setup: Equipped with two 9ft long tree straps and carabiners, our camping hammock makes setting up a breeze. It also features 5 separate loops, so you can adjust it to the perfect height. Single hammock holds up to 400 lbs, while the Double Hammock holds up to 500 lbs
- Premium Quality: Built to last a lifetime, our heavy-duty hammocks for camping are crafted with soft yet strong parachute nylon and triple interlocking stitching, along with strong carabiners and tree friendly hammock straps. Our hammocks are machine washable - we recommend removing the carabiners first so you do not damage your washer. Then add a very small amount of soap, wash it on the gentle cycle with cold water and by itself; it is best to hang it to dry instead of putting it in the dryer
- Camping Gifts: No matter the occasion, our camping hammock is a camping gear must have for the adventurer in your life. Don't know what to get mom or dad for Mother's Day or Father's Day? We have you covered!
- Double Hammock from Legit Camping – First on our list we have the highly-rated Double Hammock from Legit Camping. This hammock is very spacious, as you would expect from a double hammock with room for two occupants. Despite its size, you can easily stuff it into the bag that comes with your purchase making it a very portable hammock. It comes in a variety of colors, as well as a lifetime guarantee! Due to its great features and ease of use, this double hammock is among the top-rated.
- EASY TO SET UP - Setting up these double camping hammocks is a breeze and can be done in a matter of minutes, even for beginners.
- VERY COMFORTABLE TO SLEEP IN - This double camping hammock has high quality stitching and nylon with plenty of room to spread out and get cozy. Add To Cart Now.
- PLENTY OF ROOM FOR TWO COMFORTABLY - Share this camping hammock with a friend, have a snuggle, stretch out or even have your pup with you in our hammocks.
- COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT - Our portable hammocks are small and light to travel with, making it the perfect backpacking hammock for trees. Get Yours Now.
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO SET UP - Everything comes in a convenient bag that is attached to the tree hammock for camping and it's so easy to hang up anywhere.
- SingleNest Hammock from Eagles Nest Outfitters – This is a very popular hammock, but it’s a bit more pricey than the last one on our list. As the name implies, it’s intended for just one person. It’s very durable, and many hammock aficionados find it to be the most comfortable hammock they’ve ever slept in. It is rated five stars on Amazon, and is one of our favorite single person camping hammocks.
- Ready for some me time: The SingleNest is the perfect hammock when you don't feel like sharing
- Adventure ready: Weighing only 16 ounces, the SingleNest stuffs easily into attached storage bag. Packed Dimensions: (L x W) 4" x 5"; Unfolded Dimensions: (L x W) 9' 4" x 4' 7"
- Trustworthy material: Falling is not an option, unless it's to sleep.; made from 70D High Tenacity Nylon Taffeta, this breathable, quick drying nylon supports up to 400 pounds. (hammock straps not included)
- Master the art of lounging: Includes Aluminum Wiregate Carabiners and nautical grade line that allows you to quickly and safely secure the SingleNest to trees, poles, boat masts, or even the wall
- Please note: ENO attempts to reduce potential waste by using every bit of fabric available in production, so the color and stitching of your hammock might vary from what is pictured
- Double Parachute Camping Hammock from Bear Butt – This start-ups name certainly brings a smile to most people’s faces, but all joking aside the folks at Bear Butt know who to build some quality hammocks. They say that their double person backpacking hammocks will hold a large grizzly bear (not that we recommend testing that claim), but non the less they are rated for up to 500 pounds, and have been tested with up to 900 pounds. The hammocks are lightweight, a breeze to setup, and are actually quite value priced.
- EASY TO SET UP AND TAKE DOWN - Setting up this big 10 ft long 6 ft wide camping hammock can be done in a matter of minutes, Taking down our portable hammock is just as simple. Add To Cart Now.
- VERY COMFORTABLE AND DURABLE - Our 2 person hammock is very durable, sturdy and has the highest quality stitching for you to spread out and enjoy your surroundings which is important for any hiking gear when backpacking.
- COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT CAMPING GEAR - Weighing only 1.5lbs our folding packable double hammock packs up easy for storing and is small and light making it perfect to carry for any hiking trip.
- PLENTY OF ROOM - The Bear Butt travel hammock has so much room for Two people to fit comfortably and with a legal weight capacity of 500lbs you can enjoy time with loved ones hammock camping. Get Yours Now.
- THE COMPLETE SET UP - Our hammocks for camping is attached to a small compact travel bag that comes with everything you will need to be set up making ths a perfect outdoor hammock for any adventure.
- Grand Trunk Double Hammock – This is a very popular hammock, but it’s a bit more pricey than the last one on our list. As the name implies, it’s intended for just one person. It’s very durable, and many hammock aficionados find it to be the most comfortable hammock they’ve ever slept in. It is rated five stars on Amazon.
- MULTI-FUNCTION LIGHTWEIGHT, PORTABLE HAMMOCK WITH HIGH STRENGTH -this true 2 person or extra roomy single person hammock.
- QUICK AND EASY SETUP - includes upgraded and high quality nautical grade caribners, 5mm rope thickness cord.
- HIGH QUALITY AND DURABLE - the hammock is made from 100% parachute nylon (70D nylon).
- BIGGER IS BETTER -20% bigger than a normal-sized hammock; Measures 10'6"x 6'6" and weights only 21.60 oz
- GOOD FOR THE WORLD -Grand Trunk believes in enriching people's lives,supporting small businesses and a sustainable world.
- Outpost Camping Hammock made by Wildhorn Outfitters – This hammock is quick and easy to setup, but is extremely well built. It is rated at 400 lbs, but has been tested to over 1,000 lbs! This hammock is excellent for the price, and has a very solid level of customer satisfaction.
- SIZE - At 10'8" long with 11' tree straps, the Outpost I camping hammock is the longest on the market.
- LITESPEED - Our best-in-class LiteSpeed suspension system uses cinch buckles made from cold rolled steel for easy hang and adjustments.
- LITESPEED - Our best-in-class LiteSpeed suspension system uses cinch buckles made from cold rolled steel for easy hang and adjustments.
- QUALITY - Constructed with 70D parachute nylon and tested up to 1000lbs making it strong, durable and quick drying.
- WILDHORN GUARANTEE - We're part of the new age of outdoor companies. Our gear is affordable, unique, and accessible to all those who dare to ventu
- Single Camping Hammock From Honest Outfitters – It’s a very long hammock, measuring in at about 11 feet long! Besides that, it includes straps for hanging (which must often be purchased separately) and a bag for storage – the complete package! In addition, you’ll be able to choose from a variety of colors. This hammock is excellent for the price, and has a very solid level of customer satisfaction.
- Comfortable And Support 500 pounds: This double hammocks fits 2 people comfortably, Lay down with your friend or loved one and still have plenty of room. Because of new 210T nylon, the BACKPACKING hammocks provide relaxing support for 500 pounds
- Super Lightweight And Easy Setup: The portable hammocks is fit for camping or travel because of its lightweight. You will have everything you need for quick and easy hanging setup. It will take less than 3 minutes to hang your camping hammock on a tree or nearby objects using the rope
- Great Gift: Adults, kids, people who travel, beach goers, tent campers, and fellow Winner all say they LOVE IT! A great gift for traveling, camping, backpacking, or just hanging and relaxing in the patio
- Package: Include a double camping hammocks(118L * 78W inches), two hammock straps (10 feets) and two solid steel carabiners
- Perfect Camping Partner :So comfortable and a better solution than sleeping on the ground. Keeps you off the wet ground and away from insects, snakes or animals. Easy to be cleaned and dry quickly after being wet. It can be folded into the small attached bag,only need to put them in the storage bag that is connected to the hammock after used up.
- Everest Double Hammock With Mosquito Net – comes in at four and a half stars. It’s very small compared to some other hammocks, but this has the advantage of making it even easier to transport, making it a very portable hammock. Despite its small size, it’s still durable and supports up to 400 lbs. of weight. It comes in a wide variety of colors but is a little more expensive than entry level models.
✅ COMPLETE YOSEMITE PACK: There are all kinds of hammocks and accessories on the market, but very few can compete with the quality you'll find with Everest Active Gear. We include a practical integrated bug net with the double hammock because, if you're like us, nature is your therapy so you can rest well, sleeping bug free. This covered hammock will give you the comfort of being indoors while still enjoying the outdoors, a perfect choice for backpacking, hiking, camping, and more!
✅ RIPSTOP DIAMOND WEAVE NYLON: We use colors designed to blend into your surroundings for extra, military grade camouflage. Our durable 100% 210T taffeta parachute made with quick dry diamond-weave nylon fabric is breathable, ultralight, and high-tensile. The YKK double tab zip and components triple-stitched edge seams are able to hold up to 400 lbs. At 10ft long and 6ft wide, our hammocks are comfortably large enough for two and nicely spacious for a single person!
✅ HEAVY DUTY MOSQUITO MESH: Our unique net design provides an internal space without the feeling of being enclosed or claustrophobic & is compatible with most RainFly setups. Made from heavy grade polyester 31gm fabric, our nets won't pull / tear out hang tabs like others. This 2100 holes per square inch No-See-Um bug netting is premium quality so you can relax bug & mosquito free. No need to haul tents & sleeping bags on your next trip with our fully enclosed, netted shelter!
✅ EASY STEP SET UP & FULLY REVERSIBLE: Our Innovative 2 person hammock net system allows for a quick and simple setup perfect for travel, and complete with FULL set up instructions! Our easily portable, lightweight hammock is designed to simply be flipped over for use with or without the mosquito net. The ultra strong straps, included with your purchase, can be easily fastened to any sturdy trees or poles.
✅ 30 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: We adhere to a full 30-day return policy with a money back guarantee on all of our products, no questions asked! As a small business we back our product quality and supply product support so you can rest well!
- Flagship-X Double Hammock – This it’s pretty fairly priced. Setup is quick and easy, and it comes with its own suspension system and bag, making it stand out from the crowd. Amazon rates it a strong 4 and a half stars.
- Ultra-Durable Double Camping Hammock from Nature’s Hangout – One of the largest hammock kits available on the market, this one is great for two people or one if you really like to sprawl out. This hammock also comes with straps and is relatively cheap for a double hammock – you get a lot of bang for your buck!
- ✅ EVERYTHING YOU NEED IS IN THE BAG!!! Designed to provide an amazing outdoor experience without the frustration and hassle of other lesser quality hammocks. For serious hammock enthusiasts only. Made from the highest quality materials and components to keep you safe, comfortable, and off the ground in seconds. ✅Includes premium HangTight Hammock Straps
- ✅ LIGHTWEIGHT & PORTABLE COMPACT SIZE - Perfect hammock for camping, backpacking, hiking, hanging out on college campus, and more. It’s large double size allows two adults to lounge comfortably & ensure a good night’s sleep for one. The attached compression stuff sack, with buckle, compacts the hammock down to a backpack friendly size. UPGRADED stuff sack is now water proof & large enough to fit the included hammock straps. Unfolded Dimensions: 9.5 ft (long) x 6 ft 2 in (wide)
- ✅ ULTRA SOFT & DURABLE RIPSTOP NYLON - Made from premium breathable 230T ripstop nylon that is extra soft and comfortable on your skin while also providing extra protection from stretching and tears. Reinforced with triple interlocking stitched seams.
- ✅ PREMIUM WIREGATE CARABINERS & SLINGS INCLUDED - Our quality aluminum carabiners are the only type you want to use for your hammock. They are lightweight, durable, and have no sharp edges that will snag your hammock or straps. UPGRADED hammock slings (suspension ends) are now made from 100% polyester that have zero stretch and are dramatically stronger than the nautical rope commonly used on other camping hammocks.
- ✅ 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - You are protected by a lifetime, no-questions asked, money back guarantee along with world class customer service!
- Starlight Mountain Outfitters Single Camping Hammock– Another excellent hammock, the Lamoo Single comes with tree ropes and is available in four different colors. This hammock is a bit more expensive than other on our list, but past buyers seem genuinely happy with their purchase.
- ULTRALIGHT, RUGGED, YET COMFORTABLE – Holds up to 800 lbs. Each parachute hammock has triple stitched seams, uses tree strap inspired anchor points and steel carabiners, not ropes like others. 12-foot long tree straps help you select larger trees or wider spaced trees at your hang spot. No ropes for these hammocks!
- QUICKLY SET UP AND START HANGING – with heavy-duty tree straps included, you can have your single camping hammock or double camping hammock secured and snapped in with the included heavy-duty steel carabiners before your friends have their tent footprints out!
- LOVE THE OUTDOORS EVEN MORE… FOR LESS! – Get the best hammock quality and dependability you can get at a price that’s affordable. Our ultralight camping hammocks are designed to meet the rigors of backcountry backpacking, easy to setup and use, plus easy on the wallet. Why pay more?
- ENJOY NATURE TO THE FULLEST! – Happiness is chilling out in nature with this lightweight camping hammock! Does camping, hiking, trekking, lake fishing or exploring nature make your heart beat faster? Do you love relaxing in the shade of your back yard trees on summer days? Are you looking for an alternative to carrying a heavy tent in your backpack? We offer a superior quality portable travel hammock for one or two people that will turn your trek into a leisurely relaxing experience!
- GIVE THE GIFT OF HAMMOCK CAMPING TO YOUR NATURE LOVER – Spoil a loved one, hiker, backpacker, camper or fishing & hunting enthusiast with this excellent gift! Perfect for backyard lounging (trees not included!) weekend campers, serious trekkers and thru-hikers alike! A must for your pack, these tree hammocks can replace that tent you've been lugging around. Great for singles, couples, kids and anyone who just want to hang around!
- Gold Armour Double Parachute Hammock – This entry level hammock is extremely affordable, but still offers a great amount quality and durability for the price. It’s a very portable hammock, and is conveniently easy to store and carry due to its small size. Keep in mind there’s only enough room for one person.