Sleeping bags aren’t the only option for warming up at camp. Today there’s a dizzying number of camp blankets on the market that incorporate the best of sleeping bag technology and materials without their inconvenient shapes and restrictive zippers. (After all, sleeping bags are great for sleeping but not always the best choice for sitting by the fire or warming up on a road trip.)
Looking for a cozy camping blanket that can stand up to the elements? Here’s a complete guide to our 10 favorite camping blankets:
In just a few short years, Rumpl has become the king of camping blankets. The company was created in 2014 after founder Wylie Robinson had a classic “aha” moment on a ski trip with friends.
When their van broke down, leaving them in the cold, they took refuge in their sleeping bags. Robinson wondered how the technology of a sleeping bag could be used to make a better camp blanket. After a short stint on Shark Tank and a Kickstarter campaign, the company released its first blanket.
Although Rumpl now has a line of blankets and other products, their Original Puffy outdoor blanket is a classic that can’t be beat. It’s a lightweight packable blanket made from durable ripstop nylon and filled with puffy synthetic insulation made from 100% recycled materials.
It’s currently available in 30 colors and patterns. (On Rumpl’s website, you can even purchase an Original Puffy that shows your support for your favorite team!)
- ORIGINAL PUFFY BLANKET: The Original Puffy outdoor blanket is a packable, portable, warm blanket that you can take just about anywhere. With a ripstop shell and insulation made from 100% recycled materials, it’s a cozy experience that’s better for the planet, too. This blanket is machine washable. Throw it in your washing machine on cold and hang dry or put in your dryer on tumble no heat
- PACKABLE PUFFY QUILT: The single person Original Puffy measures 52” x 75” when laid flat and 7” x 16” when packed. Your purchase includes a convenient bag that your blanket fits into. This will be your new go-to blanket for all your outdoor, hiking, beach, and camping adventures
- WARM INSULATION: The Original Puffy Blanket combines the same technical materials found in premium sleeping bags and insulated jackets to keep you warm and cozy indoors and out
- WATER & ODOR RESISTANT: The Rumpl ultimate outdoor down blanket has a DWR coating making it water, odor, and stain-resistant. This blanket repels dirt, sand, spilled drinks, pet hair, and more
- CAPE CLIP & CORNER LOOPS: The one-person blanket is wearable! The Cape Clip allows you to wear your blanket hands-free so you can make food, add logs to the fire, or drink your beer all while staying warm. The corner loops allow you to stake the blanket into the ground or integrate perfectly with our Stash Mat to allow for the ultimate chill session
If Rumpl’s Original Puffy is a little too large for you, their NanoLoft Travel Blanket is a compact size that’s perfect for road trips, sitting in the stands, or to have on hand as an emergency blanket.
The blanket is made from the same ripstop nylon as the Original Puffy but the insulation is made from clusters of 100% recycled fibers that are made to mimic the feel (and functionality) of down. Despite its generous insulation, this blanket folds into a stuff sack that’s no bigger than a Nalgene water bottle.
It’s the perfect size for throwing in a bag or stashing in a trunk for winter weather emergencies. It’s available in four colors. (And if you like the NanoLoft insulation but want a larger blanket, Rumpl’s NanoLoft blankets are also available in a larger size.)
- Ultra-Lightweight & Packable: Travel Size is 38 x 52", 0.7 lbs, and packs down to 3.5 x 11". It’s a perfect gift for anyone who loves camping, hiking, and the outdoors.
- NanoLoft Synthetic Insulation: This down-alternative blanket is made from 100% post-consumer NanoLoft insulation technology that mimics down for the best warmth to weight ratio when camping, hiking, or backpacking.
- Machine Washable & Dryer Safe: When you need to clean your down-alternative blanket (which isn't very often), throw it in your washing machine on cold and then hang dry or put in your dryer on tumble no heat.
- Water Resistant & Odor Resistant: The ultimate outdoor down-alternative blanket has a DWR coating making it water resistant, odor resistant, and stain resistant. This blanket stops dirt, sand, spilled drinks, pet hair and most everything you throw at it.
- Key Features: All blankets include a packable water resistant stuff sack and a Cape Clip to keep your blanket wrapped around you hands-free. Crafted with durable ripstop material to last throughout all of your outdoor adventures.
Pendleton woolen blankets have become icons in the camping world and are synonymous with the good life in the outdoors. Founded in 1863, the company is still based in Oregon and is still—five generations on—owned by the Bishop family.
The company owns two mills in the United States where its woolen products are made, including their well-loved blankets. Since the early 20th century, Pendleton has produced a collection of national park blankets, designed to honor specific national parks.
Their Glacier National Park blanket was one of the first designs they produced with a cream-colored background and the now-iconic green, red, yellow, and black stripes. This 100% wool blanket will keep you warm even on the coldest nights (that includes winter camping!) It’s also available in three sizes: twin, full, and queen.
- Each blanket has a Pendleton label signifying authenticity with the park name and the image of an important national feature.
- 90" x 90"
- 100% Wool
- Made in USA
- Dry Clean
Love the look, feel, and heritage of Pendleton blankets but looking for a smaller—and less expensive—option? Consider Pendleton’s Eco-Wise wool throw.
This throw-sized blanket is made from 100% colorfast wool, but unlike Pendleton’s other offerings, it’s machine-washable. (Which means you can bundle up in it by the campfire and not worry about taking it to the dry cleaners afterward!)
The Eco-Wise wool throw has fringed edges and is available in several earth-toned patterns and plaids. And true to its Eco-Wise name, the wool for this blanket is sustainably produced for minimal environmental impact.
- Machine Washable
- 54" x 60" with 3" fringe
- Made in USA
REI’s store brand (REI Co-op) has a reputation for offering dependable outdoor basics and their camp blanket is no exception. This REI Co-op camp blanket one of the most budget-friendly options on our list but the quality and durability are still top-notch.
It’s an insulated packable blanket that comes with its own convenient drawstring carrying case. The blanket is made from machine-washable nylon that’s been given a water-repellent finish ,and its quilted design keeps the synthetic insulation in place, reducing the chance of cold spots.
Its one-person size is available in two colors but there are other REI Co-op camp blankets in other sizes and at other price points including a down-fill camp blanket.
ALPS Mountaineering has been making high-performance outdoor gear and clothing for nearly 30 years. (The company name doesn’t actually refer to the legendary mountain range; it’s an acronym that stands for: Active Lifestyle Products & Services.)
If you’re looking for a camp blanket you can share with a friend or use on a bed, the brand’s Wavelength blanket comes in both a single and a roomy double size. It’s made from durable nylon and quilted in an abstract wave pattern to ensure that the synthetic-fill insulation stays put. It also comes in three colors and includes a compact stuff sack.
Yeti is a company that’s best known for its high-quality coolers and drinkware, but its other outdoor products are also worth a look.
Yeti’s Lowlands Blanket is an ideal camp blanket for warmer weather with its lightweight construction and low-profile. It’s also a great waterproof barrier, making it perfect for the campsite, beach, a picnic—or for pets!
One side of the blanket is a quilted waterproof layer while the other side is soft and insulated. It’s available in two colors and folds up into a zippered carrying case.
- DOUBLEDUTY COMFORT - Durable and waterproof on the outside, padded and insulated on the inside
- HYDROBARRIER - The waterproof layer is immune to wet ground of any kind
- MACHINE WASH & DRY - Throw it in with other like laundry. End of story
- PET PROTECTED - Supremely soft and easily shakes off pet hair with ease
- MEASURES - 55 in x 78 unfolded and Packs up neatly in its included carry bag
Kelty’s Bestie Blanket is the lowest-priced option on our list and it’s an ideal choice for anyone looking for a casual, lightweight camping blanket.
Unlike the other options in our lineup, this blanket isn’t designed to be technical (so no waterproof layer, etc.) but its compact size makes it convenient for road trips or anytime you want an extra dose of warmth but not a lot of bulk. The Bestie Blanket is available in four prints and comes with a carrying case.
- COZY: Cloudloft insulation packs an incredibly high warmth to weight ratio making this blanket your go to no matter where you go
- SLEEPING BAG MATERIALS: One side fit to resist the elements and keep you dry while in use as a picnic blanket, while reverse side provides soft brushed fabric. Cozy, do-it-all blanket for your car, cabin, or living room
- CONVENIENT: This is perfectly sized for lounging around the campfire - or anywhere really, and is easy to transport with the included stuff sack. Leave it in the car and you're always ready for adventures.
- BUILT FOR PLAY: Kelty gives you the easy and spontaneous excuse you need to get out there and escape from the mundane. We build great gear that’s made to last and inspire you to rediscover the joy of spontaneous play. Every. Day
Coalatree’s Kachula adventure blanket might be the hardest working camp blanket on our list. That’s because with a few quick adjustments, it can be more than a camp blanket.
Add the detachable hood and it turns into a poncho. Snap it together with other Kachula blankets to get a super-sized blanket or fold it up into its stash pocket and the blanket becomes an instant travel pillow. It’s available in 13 colors/patterns.
The military wool blanket from Arcturus offers the simplicity and dependability of a classic. The blanket’s thick wool is triple-washed for comfort and its roomy size means that it’s big enough for two people to share.
Even better, the blanket is machine-washable and although wool has a reputation for being a stiff fabric, repeated washings will soften this blanket over time. It’s an ideal blanket for camping trips, tailgating, picnicking, or simply warming up on a cold day.
- THE BEST GOT BETTER: Thanks to input from thousands of customers, we’ve made dramatic improvements for the new decade to provide more warmth and value. Unlike cheaper blankets, Arcturus wool blankets are triple-washed during production, making them softer, more hygienic, and less susceptible to shedding. Check out recent customer feedback to get the most accurate reviews from your fellow Arcturus fans.
- PERFECT ANYWHERE: Loom-woven and hemmed on all sides with contrast lock stitching, our blanket looks right at home in the woods or on your couch. Wool is a naturally fire-retardant material. Our blankets are NEVER treated with any additional flame-retardant chemicals, making it safe for you and your family.
- PLENTY OF ROOM FOR ALL - Large size (64" x 88") will keep you and a friend cozy while camping, at a tailgate party, or an outdoor concert. Also great as an emergency blanket in your vehicle or for a cowboy camping setup.
- WARM & DEPENDABLE - Wool is a time-tested natural fabric that will keep you warm, even when wet. The remainder of the blanket is composed of 20% hypoallergenic synthetic fibers for durability and washability. Because wool fibers are relatively short, longer synthetic fibers help secure the weave, minimizing shedding and adding years of life to your blanket.
- MACHINE WASHABLE - We make it easy to care for your new blanket. Not only are they washable, but they get softer and softer with each wash. Scroll down for detailed care instructions.