If you’ve been fishing for a while or have your sights set on a bigger catch, it might be time to consider a baitcasting rod. While spinning rods are a great introduction to the sport, casting rods offer some advantages—once you get the technique down.
From a design standpoint, casting rods are opposite from spinning rods meaning that both the reel and line guides are on top of the rod. Having the line guides on top means they face upwards when a fish pulls down on the line. Since the tension is being pulled toward the rod rather than against the guides, line guides are less likely to break on a casting rod.
In the market for a baitcasting rod? Here are some of the top models:
Entsport’s Camo Legend model is ideal for bass fishing. This carbon fiber rod is both lightweight and strong and ceramic inserts allow for smooth casts.
- Unique and Professional Design - It comes with 2 tips. You can get two different power rod tips, medium and medium heavy. It's like getting 2 rods in 1. The 2 different tips makes it easy to adjust to your casting weight. It is very versatile. Great for carrying one rod instead of two and unless you break the base section, you have a spare tip should you break one of them. Good value for the money, nice to have additional tips for different fishing action and replacement
- 24 Ton Carbon Fiber - Light weight with tremendous overall strength; strong and structurally enhanced solid carbon fiber construction, maximizes strength while maintaining sensitivity
- Extreme Exposure Reel Seat - Enhanced reel seat with corrosion resistant aluminum hoods; Full-Contact Reel Seat with Soft Touch finish
- "K-R" and "FINESSE" Guide Series - 6+1 corrosion resistant guides, perfectly spaced for virtually friction-free line flow and maximum casting performance and sensitivity, adopt "K-R" and "FINESSE" guide series
- High Density EVA Handles - High density EVA gives greater sensitivity and durability, add to your control and fishing comfort; Special design on handle, more comfortable, which allow you to spent long days on the water with minimum fatigue
In the past, two-piece rods had something of a bad rap. Rest assured, rod design has come a long way since then with some anglers admitting that they often can’t tell the difference between the two. Shimano’s FX Casting Rod is a two-piece model but is prized for its versatility and flexibility.
- Durable aeroglass construction
- Reinforced aluminum oxide guides
- Solid locking graphite reel seat
- Comfortable EVA handle
- Graphite reel seat
This rod from UglyStik offers an array of options with five different lengths and both one and two-piece designs. Whichever you choose, you’ll be getting a modern-looking rod that’s made from a durable combination of graphite and fiberglass.
- Durable, lightweight fishing rod offers a balanced feel for lighter-weight
- Virtually indestructible blank construction with a combination of graphite and fiberglass
- Clear Tip design delivers added responsiveness and strength
- Lightweight EVA grips provide comfort during lengthy fishing outings
- 1-piece stainless steel Ugly Tuff guides eliminate insert pop-out and can be used with all types of line
If bass if what you’re after, this might be the fishing rod for you. KastKing’s Royale Legend model is a rod designed for both power and sensitivity.
- SENSITIVE & STRONG, KASTFLEX BLANK - All Royale Legend one-piece and two-piece fishing rods are constructed with Toray 24-ton carbon matrix KastFlex technology blanks which gives each rod incredible sensitivity and power. Laser focused manufacturing techniques ensure the highest quality and consistency to deliver the performance that serious Bass anglers expect.
- FUJI LINE GUIDES - We use only high-quality Fuji O-ring guides for superior casting distance and accuracy while dissipating heat more efficiently which delivers excellent durability with monofilament, fluorocarbon and braided lines. Reel seats are made of high-strength nylon for a solid base and all-day comfort.
- 1 PC Bass Technique Lengths & Actions - Every Royale Legend casting and spinning rod is designed with the bass angler in mind. Each rod has been developed to help you be more successful no matter which technique you use most often from Flippin' to Drop Shot, Texas Rigging, Swimbaits and much, much more. You'll find a rod perfect for everything you do.
- 2 PC Rods That Perform Like 1 PC Rods - KastKing PTS (Power Transition System) spigot joints in our KastKing Royal Legend 2 pieces rods transition the power smoothly throughout the fishing rod blank. Specialized computer control wrapping at four angles (0⁰, 45⁰, 90⁰, 135⁰) keeps the power flowing. You'll agree that Royale Legend 2 pc rods feel like a one-piece fishing rod!
- All KastKing fishing rods are covered by a limited lifetime, total peace of mind warranty against the workmanship and materials of the rod for the original owner. That tells you about our confidence in the quality, durability, and technology of KastKing fishing rods.
If you’re looking for a more lightweight rod, UglyStik’s Elite model offers 35% more graphite than the GX2 (cutting down on the rod’s weight) while not compromising performance.
- Ugly Stik Clear Tip design delivers extra strength right where you need it
- Ugly Tech Construction with added graphite for lighter weight and increased sensitivity
- Ugly Tuff one piece stainless steel guides provide maximum durability and eliminate insert pop-outs
- Exposed blank style reel seats with cushioned stainless steel hoods. Premium cork grips
- Length: 7'; Pieces: 1; Power: Medium/Heavy; Action: Fast; Guides: 9; Lure Rating: 1/4-3/4; Line Rating: 10-20
As the name suggests, this rod is constructed from cherry wood resulting in a lightweight yet durable rod that can handle larger fish.
- Hybrid design construction for un-matched sensitivity with the security of through handle construction
- SS304 Guides - 20x tougher and 55% lighter than traditional aluminum oxide guides and are factory tested for dependability
- Cork handle design for added comfort and grip
This graphite model is distinguished by a split-grip handle made from high density EVA that provides a reliable grip and leverage.
- Versatile baitcast fishing rod ideal for on-the-water applications
- Constructed from durable 24-ton high modulus graphite for a lightweight, responsive feel
- Stainless steel guides with titanium inserts withstand heavy line pressure
- High-density EVA handles offer comfort, durability, and leverage during long hauls
- Texas-rigged hook keeper compatible with a wide range of bait applications
KastKing’s Perigee II model is a high-performance rod made from carbon fiber and high-density EVA grips. It comes with two rod tips—medium and medium heavy or medium with medium light.
- AMAZING QUALITY CARBON FIBER BLANK - All Perigee II one-piece and two-piece Twin-Tip rods are constructed with Toray 24-ton carbon matrix KastFlex technology blanks for power, strength, durability, and accuracy.
- ATTENTION TO DETAIL - KastKing uses the best quality components in KastKing Perigee II fishing rods. World renowned Fuji O-Ring line guides, tuned ergonomic graphite high-strength reel seats, high-density EVA grips, Saf-T-Keeper hook holder, the finest sensitive "bare and beautiful" finish carbon fiber for rod blanks, and outstanding cosmetics.
- TWO FISHING RODS for the price of one! KastKing Perigee II Two Piece Twin-Tip carbon fiber spinning rods and baitcasting rods each comes with two rod tips - Medium and Medium Heavy or Medium with Medium Light power. Best value in the fishing tackle market!
- SMOOTH POWER - KastKing PTS (Power Transition System) spigot joints in our KastKing Perigee II Twin-Tip rods transition the power smoothly throughout the fishing rod blank. Specialized computer control wrapping at four angles keeps the power flowing. You will agree it feels like a one-piece fishing rod!
- STEP UP - Throw away your old technology ugly fishing pole and step into the future of fishing with a dynamic KastKing Perigee II high performance baitcaster or spinning fishing rod for bass fishing, trout fishing, cat fishing or any fishing technique! Total Peace of Mind Warranty. Best-in-Class Lifetime total warranty on Twin Tip top ends.
If you want options, KastKing’s Speed Demon series offers plenty with 11 baitcasting models of varying actions and lengths.
- Elite Carbon Blanks & Nano Resin Technology - Speed Demon Pro rods start with our own Elite Carbon blanks that utilize Carbon Nano Tube resin technology to reduce weight, increase breaking and lifting strength by over 30% compared to standard graphite blanks. These proprietary blanks are not only strong and light but may just be the most sensitive rods you've ever had in your hands.
- Fuji Guides/Reel Seats & WINN Grips - Only the finest Fuji guides and reel seats are used to ensure that reels stay firmly in place and that lines are never frayed or are slowed down by inferior guides. Spinning models using Fuji LV style guides with Alconite rings, casting models use Fuji LN model guides with Alconite rings. Handles and fighting butts are custom WINN golf style grips that provide comfort and a sure grip in all conditions.
- 15 Technique Specific Actions & Lengths - We've design each action based on years of experience and elite angler input to ensure that each model is precisely built to delivery uncompromising performance for each specific technique. Everything from the rod weight, action and length of the handles are carefully considered to build your favorite new rod. There are currently 15 models including 4 spinning and 11 casting models all in 1-pc designs and ready to take you to a new level in your sport.
- Lightweight Composite S-Glass Crankbait Rods - The Speed Demon Pro crankbait rods use a composite blend of S-Glass and high modulus graphite for a lightweight, well balanced, thin rod blank that still has a soft crankbait action. There are two casting models, 7' crankbait and 6'8" Square Bill rod and a new 7'3" spinning model for those anglers looking to make long casts with small crankbaits and still have that soft crankin' action rod using a spinning reel.
- True Tournament Performance Rod - We've spared no cost in building these rods to ensure that they look as good as they perform! You'll be proud to have the entire series on your boat knowing that you're using a true performance rod and will have confidence in its durability because of KastKing's Incredible Total Peace of Mind Warranty!